• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510 verses HR2600

Hi guys new to the CB world. I have a HR2600 and would like to know the following;

1) How to reach this "Doc or Rogerbird"?

2) Which power mic to use?

3) What antena to use?

This will be used in my car and any other advice would help.

If you intend to connect it to an external amp, I would suggest selling it instead, make a little profit off of it and then get yourself a ClearCom Ranger AR3500. Overall, it's a significantly better radio and has a 150 watt RF amp built in. The radio is capable of operating from 10 thru 12 meters and the modulation is beyond that of both the 2510 and 2600. Done up properly it will outperform many of the big export bases like the RCI, Galaxy, and Connex at half or less than half the cost of the big bases! I bought mine for $125 with a service manual.

Just my thoughts here.

Now why would you want to do that? I recommend keeping it and add an external amplifier. It is more than capable of driving an amplifier and the audio is respectable as well.

70cst, if you are a serious SSB operator, don't hesitate to get the 2510. (I have a Lincoln, and it is awesome). Very stable on sideband, and a very good receiver. I run mine with a D104 hand mic and get great reports regularly. I was seeing 50 watts out of mine, but turned it down to about 40. Works great with a TS500. :)

Oh, and AM performance is pretty decent, too.

RT307

I agree.

The Lincoln/2510/2830 chassis are good radios, but they are getting long in the tooth now days, remember this is a 80`s designed radio.
The 2600 is a little more difficult to convert if you are going to run it in the "freeband" mode because of the chip used and it must be replaced, or you can swap a rock on the CPU board to drop the radio 2Mhz to make it work down there.
The advantage to the 2600 is the built in FM offsets for repeater work, and a built in CTCSS board.

If you are a hard core SSB guy, and are only going to use the radio on ten meters, skip the 2510/2600 radios and get a Radio Shack HTX100.
Yes it only has USB and CW modes, but you will find that the RX on the radio Shack is better than any of the 2510/2600/Lincolns because of the sharper filter used in the radio.
The Uniden/President radios used a "compromise" filter that had to be wider to allow it to work AM/FM modes, were as the RS model did not have to.

Jeff

Hi guys new to the CB world. I have a HR2600 and would like to know the following;

1) How to reach this "Doc or Rogerbird"?

2) Which power mic to use?

3) What antena to use?

This will be used in my car and any other advice would help.

A simple Google search for Rogerbird HR2510 and Doc HR2510 should give you plenty of results. They are both considered to be the best two places to have work on a Lincoln, 2510, and 2600 radio.

As far as the mic and antenna, the mic would all depend on what kind of voice you have. Get a mic plug adapter so you can test out several different mics and see what your locals say.

The antenna is all up to what vehicle you have, how you plan on mounting it, and if you are going to run an external amplifier. A K-40 Wilson 1000/5000 on the trunk will work for a car. A hard mount in the center of the roof even better. All depends on what you want to do.

Just found this for HR-2600

(Look down the page for hr-2600 ext freq,
It states a mod to enable the same freq coverage as the 2510 without changing the chip)

Modifications for the Uniden HR2600

EDIT

Sorry I posted this without reading the link,
Sorry for the bum steer :-(

You can change the crystal on the processor board to drop/raisethe radio 2 Mhz, the problem is that the frequency display will Not follow the modification, it will still read 28.000 while it is transmitting at 26.000/30.000 Mhz depending if you need the radio to go up/down.
If you want to use the radio for a exciter for other bands the final will also have to be bypassed because most transverter`s require less than 1 watt of drive.
As stated in the link, the 2600 CPU will NOT allow extended frequency coverage.
The reference to "epoxy" was the later models of the 2510, an attempt to prevent tampering with the CPU control pins, it did not work as the epoxy could be carefully heated and picked off the board, or you could simply unscrew the board and do the modification on the back.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.