• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510

SuperDave

Sep 10, 2012
Luling, La.
Found 2510 for sale and they guy is asking $220 for it. It has been RogerBird Tuned, set up with variable power, color changing LED and comes with a d104 M6B mic.

Any particular things I should look at? I've never bought a used radio from some one. I've always been giving CB's or ran across people with radios for very little money.

I know I obviously need to see it transmit and receive, but is there anything these radios were know to have problems with? Also does the price seem fair(considering all is working properly)?

Thanks

assuming it works fine then its not bad. i wouldnt pay anymore than
that though. those radios are getting old and parts are hard to find .
however this is one of my favorite radios

Great radios!

I own 2 chipswitched HR2600 's which are similar but has split frequency and CTCSS tones for repeater use. If you do a lot of SSB work, than this is what these radios excel at, they are very frequency stable after warm up and no drift that I can tell.

As for AM mode, they are adequate but not generally known for being a big maul dropping over-modulated mud-duck killer if that's your thing.

I think the price is a little steep but they are getting harder to find though. If it is in good condition and in good working order and you are avid SSB user, than I would consider it.

To answer your question about what to look for,

The obvious of course, make sure it powers up, transmits and receives. Check all knobs for smooth operation with no grittiness or audible noises.

Check power output on a good reliable meter. Unless the original finals have been changed, it should swing up to about 30 watts. The variable power mod utilizes the SWR/CAL knob. On my radios with this mod, at 12 o'clock is where the variable power deadkey starts at minimum and tapers up towards the maximum. The SWR/CAL function should still operate as normal when selecting this function from the meter switch.

If your lucky, Rogerbird put a external speaker jack on the rear of the radio since the radio's external connections are all confined to a molex jack and pigtail. This is a relatively easy mod that I would recommend doing and there are instructions on Rogerbirds website on how to do this.

I feel the same way about buying used radios because you have to wonder why someone is selling it, is it because they messed it up with a golden screwdriver? Even with Ham guys you will find radios for sale listed as "tech special" that means they tinkered with it and screwed it up!

Check it out good and use your best judgement...Good Luck!

Lord. Those where interesting cables. It would be hard to by from someone who jury riggs things in such a manner.

I bought a bunch of bare connectors and pins for both the power and accessory jack on the 2510 and can supply you the necessary ones to make new plugs if you buy it. Shoot me a PM if you buy the radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.