• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HT antenna, host of questions...

Luke_C

KD0GBK
Jul 8, 2009
CO Rockies
So I've got a few things rolling around in the old noggin, and want to know what y'all think.

I have a VX-8R, that I've had for about 8 months or so. I really like the radio, but it's more and more apparant to me that the stock antenna just can't get it done.

But I use the radio in some tough conditions, and frequently transport the radio in my gear bag for work as a LEO. Under transport, the antenna is disconnected (usually) and the antenna, radio, mic w/GPS, and 12v charger are in small nylon zipper pouch, dropped into my gear bag. I work in a small mountain town in the middle of the rockies, and the more I test with it, the more reliable it is. After months and months of tinkering and testing, it's getting obvious to me that the radio is my best means of emergency communication, at or away from work. My job often puts my waayyyy back in the mountains, well out of cell reach, and often out of police radio reach. BTW, we run high-dollar, state of the art Motorlla 800 MHz radios with a great set up of repeaters.

Keep in mind, I have absolutely no desire/want/inkling to do LEO work over Ham bands. Nor would I. I'm just describing how well my radio compares to my other comms equipment. Away from work, I do a lot of camping, hunting, and 4x4ing in the back country.

So here's what I'd like y'all opinion on.

I need to upgrade the antenna. 2m and 440 are all I'm really looking for out of a new antenna, but I want them to work well. Another requirement is that I don't want the antenna to be grotesquelly large, as that will really hinder transportation and end up getting left at home. And lastly, I'm wondering if I should add an SMA to BNC adapter to the radio, jsut removing a BNC antenna for transport.

Do you think I would enhance the durability of the radio with the BNC adapter? All the antenna on and off has me a little concerned for durability. It may have the antenna removed/installed 5 times a week.

As for the antenna, I'm really interested in the Diamond SRH-519, as it's only 8.5" and does 2m and 440. The RH77CA is my next choice, but at 16" it might be on the long side for easy transportation in a gear bag, back pack, etc.

So what do y'all think. Any great 2m/440 antennas out there that aren't too much over a foot that I don't know about?

If there's another radio that will give good function on 2m/440, plus one of the other two bands the 8R will do, preferably 6m, I'm all ears. As long as length is moderately under control.

Thanks ahead of time.

First let's address the SMA/BNC question. If you're concerned about the wear and tear on the SMA adapter because of constantly changing antennas, you should get the Diamond BNCJ-SMAP adapter. It's made to screw directly on the HT and leave it there, providing a clean looking BNC adapter for antennas. I've personally looked at this product - it looks good and works good. Here is a pic:

BNCJ-SMAP.jpg

Most people find that the Diamond SRH320a is the antenna of choice for these radios. There within the size you mentioned and they work a lot better than the stock antenna, but they only come with an SMA adapter. Comet also has a 2m/220/440 antenna, but it's also SMA only. So, you're probably looking at a 2m/440 only antenna if you want the BNC base. Any of the Comet / Diamond antennas that are larger than the stock antenna will work better. They make some very thin, flexible antennas that, even if they're longer than you like will probably be acceptable because they are unobtrusive. In your circumstance, something around 15 inches would probably be work good. Also take a look at the Diamond RHF40. It's a flexible antenna that you can sort-of coil while it's stashed in your bag.

If there's another radio that will give good function on 2m/440, plus one of the other two bands the 8R will do, preferably 6m, I'm all ears.

Kenwood THF-6A, Yaesu VX-7r, Icom IC-91a.

Have you compared the size,feel, and performance of the vx-8 to the vx-7r ? I have a replacement diamond on my vx-7r (black) and it's built like a rock! I thought about the vx-8 but I'm not sure I would have a need for the gps feature.
I've read some reports about battery fitting issues on the vx-8, have you had any problems with switching batteries?
n9zas

Using a SMA/BNC adapter is a good idea for frequent on/off situations. The adaptor 'moleculo' commented on is the one I use. The two antennas you quoted are the same I use.

I have used the three items on a VX6, VX8, Icom92AD and VX3. The adaptor makes the radios look like it came with a BNC connector. The adaptor is a very snug fit to both antennas. There is no wobble of the antenna on the adaptor.

The 519 is good for close in repeaters and simplex with other club members when we are on a project. I use the 77 for Public Service special events when I want to make sure I will make the repeater. Neither antenna has failed to perform to my expectation. The max overall length of the 77 is 14 13/16 inches. Might be a little long for you go-bag, but maybe not.

Mike

... And lastly, I'm wondering if I should add an SMA to BNC adapter to the radio, jsut removing a BNC antenna for transport.

As for the antenna, I'm really interested in the Diamond SRH-519, as it's only 8.5" and does 2m and 440. The RH77CA is my next choice, but at 16" it might be on the long side for easy transportation in a gear bag, back pack, etc.

the Diamond rubber duck upgrade was a waste of money in the foot hills terrain I live in. I solved my problem today. I got a Comet 18" jumper & tapped in to my 790A mobile antenna and was hitting every repeater around.

I order a Coment 38" antenna and a Larson single magnet mount and got it today. I hooked it up in my office, (2nd floor) and mounted it on a 5' high metal filing cabinet. I was hitting the only 2 repeaters close to me (20 miles) with Medium power. Amazing. I was scanning 2 meters and was talking with a repeater in another state in the mountains of VA, close to 100 miles away.

unreal. I'm going to tale it out on my 2nd story deck tomorrow and mount it on my huge SS grill and see if that improves it.

It cost me $105 for the antenna & mount and it worked better than I ever expected indoors. If it does better outdoors, just a bonus. I'm also set to jump in my other 2 cars with no mobile & take the HT & small antenna.

I'm going to my barn tomorrow & stick it on the chain link fench & give it a test also.

I'm going to take the Sky warn, ARES, etc courses so this will be my back up rig. I'm going to finish out the rig with a 3rd battery pack, a cigatette lighter charger and the lighter adapter that lets me operate it through my vehicle. I can easily stick a lighter element on my tractor, stick the mag mount on it if needed.

If anyone wants the model numbers on the antenna, mount & jumper, I'll be happy to post it or you can PM me.

I have been studying this for a couple of weeks and I could not be happier.

I have the Diamond SRH 320A, it's the HT version of the CR 320A that I use on my Kenwood tri-band mobile. It works great and gets into dig-peaters better for APRS than the stock antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.