• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hustler HQ-27 CB Antenna – Obsolete or a forgotten Gem???

HBW1412

Jan 18, 2011
Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia
All the antennas I have are Firesticks, but I decided to take a chance on this Hustler HQ-27. I placed an order for one of these yesterday to go on my Lincoln Town Car. I like the way these look compared to some of the others for my particular application. I’ll be mounting it on the trunk.

What I’d like to know is how well this antenna performs.

There isn’t much literature available and I can find only a couple mentions about it online. The Company says it is one of the most popular CB antennas on the market, but if that was so I think there should be at least a review of it on YouTube or something, but I can’t find a one.

This antenna has been around for a loooooong time. Much longer than many antennas have it seems. It is made in America so it has that going for it, but now I’m not sure if my purchase was a bit hasty.

What say you? Did I get hustled and waste my money on this Hustler?

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

greetings and welcome to the forum

i have one of those antennas stored in my garage with many other antennas i have accumulated over the years.

the antenna has worked for me in many instances in the past, i have used it on a mag mount as a set up that I can move around to different vehicles.

as far as whether the one you purchased will work will remain to be seen for your situation and installation.

if it serves you well then well done, if not another will likely be tried until you are satisfied, after all that is our nature with this hobby.

My current antenna is a wilson 5k and I use a shortened whip as opposed to the original length that allows me to operate on 10 meters and the upper CB channels with a good match well enough for what I do with it.

Best of luck with your install and let us know how it works out for you.

Wandering around the Net on an unrelated search (ground for Mobile CB) ran across the HQ-27 being used in an assemble-to-order dipole by BOBS CB for motorhomes or 5th Wheel travel trailers. An NGP “answer”. Mount goes on ladder to roof.

55” TTL length where:

7” is the coil
30” base whip
18” top whip

In the terrific long ago this was my first CB antenna. Don’t remember anything about it.

Anyone know if the whip size is such that others could be fitted (cut-to-fit, even).

Thinking now of this as big truck dipole.
55” might be “right” and it might not.
That’s subject for another thread, it’s the whip-size question that’s being asked (to keep the thread to OP subject).

Thx

More research showed the R11m [?] with standard resonator to be around 6’.

Resonators standard or super designed to work with several choices of risers & whips. Some from other suppliers.

All the antennas I have are Firesticks, but I decided to take a chance on this Hustler HQ-27. I placed an order for one of these yesterday to go on my Lincoln Town Car. I like the way these look compared to some of the others for my particular application. I’ll be mounting it on the trunk.

What I’d like to know is how well this antenna performs.

There isn’t much literature available and I can find only a couple mentions about it online. The Company says it is one of the most popular CB antennas on the market, but if that was so I think there should be at least a review of it on YouTube or something, but I can’t find a one.

This antenna has been around for a loooooong time. Much longer than many antennas have it seems. It is made in America so it has that going for it, but now I’m not sure if my purchase was a bit hasty.

What say you? Did I get hustled and waste my money on this Hustler?
Old post but, I own one (Hustler HQ-27). It does talk good but, my 102 ss whip and sirio performer 5000 blows it away.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.