• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hustler Mobile HF

Watergate

Apr 11, 2011
Just a few thoughts about this antenna system.

I purchased the mast and the 11 meter resonator prior to getting licensed. After my license came through I bought the RM-10S 10 meter "super resonator". I wanted to be able to tune the whole band and the smaller resonator wouldn't do it.

The mast is 54 inches tall. It is made from 1/2 inch aluminum tubing with a standard 3/8 by 24 stud on the bottom and a 3/8 by 24 nut inserted into the top.

Here is a picture of the mast.
a9uve8yt.jpg

The resonators start at 24 inches for 10 meters and go up in length from there. So on ten meter I had an antenna 78 inches tall. Being as ten meters makes for the shortest resonator the antenna, though classified as a center load, is nearly a top loaded antenna as you can see in this picture.
e4yhe6ap.jpg

The smaller resonator is only about 1/2 inch in diameter. The super resonator is a good 3 inches in diameter. Have a look at the corona ball on top of this thing.
jadu9ava.jpg

That's a good 3/4 of an inch.

This antenna seems to be a real performer. One can't really judge a mobile antenna on skip alone, however I recently purchased a Francis 5 1/2 foot "Hot Rod" CB antenna and trimmed it down for 10 meters and it doesn't seem to pull in the distant stations as well as the Hustler did.

The antenna has a fair amount of wind load so I would recommend using a spring as I ended up doing or maybe even a few guy wires.

One warning however, this antenna has a MASSIVE bird load, and the mast will not hold up to hitting even the smallest of birds at 70 mph.

Can you tell I'm a kind of bitter today?

Not trying to make you any more bitter but I think you posted the wrong picts :cry: No mast or resonator in sight although I know what they since I had a whole set back in the early 90's. Not the most efficient antenna system out there and I had to guy mine to keep it from destroying itself and the mount. I had the adapter that allows three resonators at a time installed on the top.

There but for the grace of God go I:blink:
I use all manner of antennas on my car, I'm sure a good number of them aren't bird loading proof either, most need regular servicing if I want to keep them in good condition, but there's no kind of servicing that would help you there.

If you can find some alloy tube with an inner diamater just larger than your shaft outer diameter you could make a sleeve repair, good luck with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.