• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HV Transformer's and Steel to Copper Ratio

ElectronTubesRule

Sep 6, 2011
Ok so here is the question.....I have space to add more steel to my E-I transformer's. The laminated steel core pieces are bolted together. I have an extra 1/2 inch of space to play with to use up the exra bolt length. Would it help anything at all to add steel to both sides? I have to think that an extra 1/2 of steel would improve saturation point. I can also use even longer bolts if need be to add even more steel to the mix. Plus I can make the steel hold down clamps as beefy as would help with regard to putting more steel into the equation.

The two HV transformers I have weight 15lbs. each and are E-I core. I also learned that since they are identical that I can wire the secondaries inseries if I choose to as long as I wire my primaries parallel. The only thing to look out for is getting phasing right. These transformer's have no taps for filaments or anything like that just HV. The amp they where made for used separate transformer for all other voltages.

I wish I knew who made them?!?!?!?! The core is blued steel and show signs of annealing prior to bluing. The paper and rest of the transformer was sprayed in some type of polyurethane or epoxy so their is no corrossion and moisture wicking to the paper and such. The ends of the wires for hookup are pre tinned . You can they are at least 20 years old maybe older because they have cloth insulation on the wires.

Since they did not come with mounting hardware I could in theory use as much steel as I liked to make the bracket from. If it will help I could use 1/4 thick mild steel plate.

I will more then likely build the power supply in a separate box to keep heat, magnet flux. If I do put it all in one case I will shield the power supply area well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.