• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HX350S STANDARD HORIZON Marine VHF

KD8LWX

Aug 17, 2009
I did some googling and I am not seeing any modification, but I thought I would post here to see if anyone here knew a way of opening up the spectrum to more than just the marine band.

As a side note, the STANDARD HORIZON HX350S has served me very well. It was carried a lot and used very little. It's submersion rating is better than advertised.

Hi,

Even if a mods would be possible, that would not be very practical to use, would it?

Get an amateur radio transceiver, learn how to use it, pass the ham exam, then mods it.

I think if mods are available it would be very practical. It would allow me to use the equipment I already have to do more.

As far as amateur radio I have already passed the ham exam and have a VX-8R which has been modified.

:pop:

I contacted Vertex Standard a while back (more than a year ago) asking which handheld VHF Marine radios could be modified for expanded TX/RX. I had a specific, legitimate reason for it at the time. They told me that there was only one model that could modified, but I don't remember which one it was. I'm guessing that it's probably the one that looks like the VX-7

Connecting tthe dots.

I think its the HX471. It looks just like the VX-7R with some very slight case differences. Different buttons.

The Hx471 takes a voice scrambler...hmmm...consumers marine has that item (#480226) for sale at about $96 would it be useful in a 7R?

Would that be against the rules? If so why is it available on FRS or Marine VHF?

I freely admit my ignorance on the legality of this and would welcome some opinion / guidance on the subject.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.