• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hy-Gain Auto Rotator

pistolpete54

Sep 10, 2013
Central California
Any input on a Hy-Gain AR-500 Auto Rotator I'm thinking of using it with a MFJ-1890 moxon antenna mounted on a mast. Is this rotor strong enough or do I need to spent the extra dollars and go with something like a Yaesu G-450A

Compare the specs for both and then you decide if one is 'better' than the other.
- 'Doc

Hey Doc thanks for the reply, I know which one is better but one costs 2.5 times more than the other I was just trying to find out if anyone has used the Hy-Gain unit and if it's any good or has the same problems as the other 125.00 dollar units I have seen reviewed like the channelmaster and radioshack models. I can't find any reviews for this unit and just wondered if anyone has one they can comment on. I'm spending 85.00 on the antenna and would like to try to stay away from spending 300.00 on the rotor if possible.

I've never had one so can't say anything about it from experience. I have had a rotor or two, one not being a very 'large' one. It would turn the antenna, but the wind also did some unwanted turning!
Just as a very general 'rule of thumb', meaning it's a terrible way of judging a rotor, it it's sort of 'square'ish in shape, and not very heavy, then don't expect much ability to turn and -keep the wind from turning- the @#$ antenna. That unwanted turning is a function of the braking system used. There's a huge amount of force being applied to any antenna by the wind, and keeping the thing 'still' is a major part of a rotor's job. I didn't look at prices (scared too!), but I would expect a 'good' rotor to be expensive. That 'Hy-Gain AR-500 Auto Rotor' just isn't a heavy-duty rotor at all, sorry...
- 'Doc

I've never had one so can't say anything about it from experience. I have had a rotor or two, one not being a very 'large' one. It would turn the antenna, but the wind also did some unwanted turning!
Just as a very general 'rule of thumb', meaning it's a terrible way of judging a rotor, it it's sort of 'square'ish in shape, and not very heavy, then don't expect much ability to turn and -keep the wind from turning- the @#$ antenna. That unwanted turning is a function of the braking system used. There's a huge amount of force being applied to any antenna by the wind, and keeping the thing 'still' is a major part of a rotor's job. I didn't look at prices (scared too!), but I would expect a 'good' rotor to be expensive. That 'Hy-Gain AR-500 Auto Rotor' just isn't a heavy-duty rotor at all, sorry...
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc, Was leaning to the more expensive one anyway, so if I changed to a larger antenna I wouldn't have to upgrade the rotor also.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated