• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hy Gain Mobile Antenna

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Hi, i picked this up at a yard sale and wondering if any good ? Trunk lip mount model 590. Its advertised as 23 ch antenna. Thx!20240515_112104.jpg20240515_112114.jpg

Wow there's a period piece ! That must be from the late 1970's sometime.......
It should still work OK, though you would likely have to trim it to get band center closer to channel 19.
It was a pretty average antenna back in the day.......nothing super special about it.

Wow there's a period piece ! That must be from the late 1970's sometime.......
It should still work OK, though you would likely have to trim it to get band center closer to channel 19.
It was a pretty average antenna back in the day.......nothing super special about it.
Thanks for the comment BC Coyote. I usually use a wilson 1000 mag mount so sounds like i'll be sticking with that :)

Reactions: BC Coyote
The trunk-lid mount uses two allen-type setscrews to pierce the paint on the underside of the trunk's lip. Sooner or later it oxidizes and has to have the screws cranked a little to pierce the corrosion and restore the ground connection.

Some cars required a length of braid from the lid's hinge bolts to the body's hinge bolts.

And some trunk lids showed a low SWR without taking that measure.

The flat coil inside the base is kinda cool. A spiral of copper on a round piece of G10 epoxy. A printed loading coil. Just consider that it won't tolerate a lot of RF power.

Sure haven't seen one of those in a while.

Reactions: jrd426

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.