• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I 10K ANTENNA

I am sure they'd like it Tony. The only thing is, the cost, $300 I think gets you a 5 element yagi, and it would make any groundplane seem like a kids toy as far as gain goes, both TX and RX, but also if you live "in the middle" of a bunch of operators and rotating that 5 element all the time to hear/talk to a station on each side of you would get very annoying... That's why I got both, and omni and a directional... I think my next upgrade is to a 5 element Yagi, probably just a Maco M105. My M103 is great, but I would sure like better RX like Marconi says, if you can't hear em, you can't talk to em. A 5 element would really bring in the long distance/low power stations nicely compared to any kind of omni antenna.

I agree with the having to turn issue that would suck but when your all close to oneanother you dont have to swing the beam I know I never do or have to for close communications because you can talk and receive good enough off the sides and back anyways so it all works out although I also occasionally switch over to my Verticals for the local blah blah blah

I agree with the having to turn issue that would suck but when your all close to oneanother you dont have to swing the beam I know I never do or have to for close communications because you can talk and receive good enough off the sides and back anyways so it all works out although I also occasionally switch over to my Verticals for the local blah blah blah

Yeah, I didn't have to turn my 3 element for most conversations unless I had mobiles on the backside of me more than 5 miles away, then I couldn't hear them anymore.. I love the rejection ability of a beam, and dBd is nice too...

Rethinking about future upgrade to M105, looking more at the M104.. gonna start a new thread to discuss it.

I have a few different beams here maco shooting star dual polarity 4 element. Gizmotchy Im using at present, 4 super scanners and a new jogunn i believe its a 5 or 6 element its still in the box I should really get rid of 3 of the super scanners and that big ole JoeGunn.

I have way to much sitting around not being used I also have some aluminum 5/8 wave antennas Im not sure what there really are24 foot with a static ring around the bottom with 8 foot ground radials which are starnge because attached to the ends of the groundplane tubing theres like stiff wires connected to the ends or tips by an eye and bolt I never did find out what the hell these things really are LOL!!

I have a few different beams here maco shooting star dual polarity 4 element. Gizmotchy Im using at present, 4 super scanners and a new jogunn i believe its a 5 or 6 element its still in the box I should really get rid of 3 of the super scanners and that big ole JoeGunn.

I have way to much sitting around not being used I also have some aluminum 5/8 wave antennas Im not sure what there really are24 foot with a static ring around the bottom with 8 foot ground radials which are starnge because attached to the ends of the groundplane tubing theres like stiff wires connected to the ends or tips by an eye and bolt I never did find out what the hell these things really are LOL!!

Tony, the antenna you describe sound like an Avanti 5/8 wave. See it here: http://www.cbtricks.com/ant_manuals/avanti/av170/graphics/avanti_av170_om.pdf

Thats it!!!! Thats the anternnas I have after you posted this I new when I seen the name thats what these here are!! Someone said that this is what they thought they were a few years back aswell. But anyways that is what I have here. I wonder what there power rating is Im guessing 600 - 800 watts

I -10K

Have had a new IMAX up for 2 weeks now, been using it on 10-11-12-15-17 meters, it works well but my A99 smokes it on all bands in direct comparison by 2S units on my ICOM 7600. so today am going o get out my I-10k and get read to change them out, why am I doing so, my I-10k will be used just on 11 meters ground wave. I can say this for sure when I did testing 2008-2009 found that the A99 at 38' to the bottom got me the most gain to a mobile unit at 5-25 miles away, The I-10k would produce the same signal strength with modulation
at 24' to the bottom, which was as high as I could put it. I now know beyond a shadow of a dough that the A99 will work better for 10-12-15-17 by A/B testing over the last 2 weeks than the IMAX. I-10k had the same signal strength at 24' to the bottom as the A99 had a 38' to the bottom, the I-10K brings in a less noise on receive an did not produce TVI at this location. I talk an listen to some barefoot stations on 11 meters that are 20-35 miles away from this station an believe the I-10K will help my ground wave receive in the early morning hours.............Oldtimer:drool:

Have had a new IMAX up for 2 weeks now, been using it on 10-11-12-15-17 meters, it works well but my A99 smokes it on all bands in direct comparison by 2S units on my ICOM 7600. so today am going o get out my I-10k and get read to change them out, why am I doing so, my I-10k will be used just on 11 meters ground wave. I can say this for sure when I did testing 2008-2009 found that the A99 at 38' to the bottom got me the most gain to a mobile unit at 5-25 miles away, The I-10k would produce the same signal strength with modulation
at 24' to the bottom, which was as high as I could put it. I now know beyond a shadow of a dough that the A99 will work better for 10-12-15-17 by A/B testing over the last 2 weeks than the IMAX. I-10k had the same signal strength at 24' to the bottom as the A99 had a 38' to the bottom, the I-10K brings in a less noise on receive an did not produce TVI at this location. I talk an listen to some barefoot stations on 11 meters that are 20-35 miles away from this station an believe the I-10K will help my ground wave receive in the early morning hours.............Oldtimer:drool:

Walterb, I looked back at my signal reports for last year on these two antennas, and the reports for the A99 were done with and without radials. Results were about the same for both. I compared them A/B and A/A, with current maximums close to the same height, with the mounts at the same height, using many RX signals averaged and taken from a number of my regular CB buddies on ssb.

I am convinced that no matter what or how you do your testing, CBr's are going to disagree 90% of the time, so anecdotal experiences are as useless as tits on a boar hog.

Thanks anyway.

I found two old Eznec5 models for a 1/2 wave end fed like an A99 and and 5/8 wave ground plane with horizontal radials and attached is a pattern overlay for gain and angle for both. Both of the models were based on modeling details provided in a report made by Cebik that I posted some time ago. You will note that both are at 40' feet high at the base and are very close in gain and angle. The *Primary in black is the 1-10K pattern.

View attachment Cebik's .625 gp vs. A99.pdf

Last edited:
I -10K

Marconi,
I know your right!
I publish my finding so others and myself have the finding on the internet while there fresh in my mind, I just publish the finding, not what I think they should be, then if I forget then an often do, I sometimes read them at a later date and it helps me as well! I am always changing something Radio, Amp ,coax ,wire height of an antenna or something. I am not trying to convince anybody of anything. Am 71 now and its getting harder for me to get up on the roof in the winter, so I better get this antenna thing worked out soon, for my own good or will have to go with what ever the last thing I put up there. I have been fascinated with RADIO all my life, and it is a blessing for me for sure. I like CB radio most because I tested back in the day with my Dad an its the most challenging for me at this time in my life, my Grandmother told me when I was a boy, nothing is impossible Walter, the impossible just take a little longer, so I learned at an early age to never give up on things I do! My Grandmother was a pretty smart cookie to tell me that! Well I got the IMAX down and the I-10K up at 24' to the bottom and working, my SWR is flat where I will be using the antenna, on SKIP A/Bing the A99 and the I-10K about 85% of the skip stations there very close on 11 meters, now have my 2 best antenna up in the air. In a couple of weeks will have a better picture of what's happening with my antenna an my antenna systems with the change! If I find anything derma-tic will post finding..............Oldtimer :drool:

2 guys a couple blocks apart 32 miles from me. one has a a99 the other has a imax2000. the imax is on a 4 section mast on the roof the a99 is on a 50 foot tower. they went in on a 300 foot roll of coax and both run yeasu ft101s. the guy on the a99 hits me at 3 but the guy on the imax hits me with a 5.
thats allways what i see when someone around here compares them. i allways see about 2 better on the imax and got the same when i compared a a99.
im allways amazed when the a99 works so well for someone else and that 1/2 wave a99 somehow performs as if its a 5/8 wave

from what they tell me that Antenna costs . id rather spend my money on a joe gun beam . or 2 maco V antenna's phased . i would never spend that kind of money on a omni directional antenna . plus an so-239 connector is only suppose to hold 5,000 bird thats it . anybody that runs real power would like to direct feed it. hell i make the dam antenna myself for half the price or even less . :bdh:

youd be hard presed to build something as durable as the i10k for less money. i had one and its a real piece of engenering. built to withstand a hurricain
what goods a beam if you cant hear everybody? people use sticks because they need to have a omni for all directions at once like in the morning when all the guys are on and comming in from all directions

Quite Right..

Mine has Easily Survived Hurricanes ( including a few months ago ) ..

Years ago in a really bad Nor-Easter ..
I heard what i thought was the antenna flopping around on the roof..
Only to see the top of the antenna was folding over and whacking the roof..Following day expected to have a Destroyed antenna but it was in perfect shape..

Years ago in a different Nor-Easter again winds were so bad i doubted if antenna would survive...Following day it appeared antenna had been Destroyed, However when i went on the roof the antenna was in perfect shape except that the Heavy Duty Chimney Mounts were twisted and destroyed like crazy.. So in fixing those heavy duty mounts as well as adding a 2ed set of such mounts.. All was fine again..

This Interceptor I-10K antenna is Expensive ( i will give you that )
and yet...It is Extremely reasonably priced..
For i should have had to replace this antenna at least 4 times now.!

Instead it simply seems to laugh at Bad ( and Extremely Bad ) weather & simply work Exceptionally well..

So are there other antennas that work as well in good weather ?
Well sure..this is simply a very well designed Vertical 5/8 wave antenna.. That as far as i know is Not and likely never will be out performed by another Vertical Ground plane..

However, in order to get an 5/8 wave Vertical Ground Plane antenna to be more Survivable then the I-10K is... Likely could be done if the antenna was instead made of Titanium & well if you think the I-10K is expensive made as it is..made instead of Titanium would make it far far more Expensive !!

Oh and performance wise..
I would compare it to be at least as good as ( if not better then ) a 3 or 4 element beam..
the I-10K just pulls those signals in like crazy..

There are only 2 other antennas that might do as well ( as far as i know ) the Wolf .64 ( which i am told by a couple of who have it is a Extremely Strong antenna as well ) & Mr Coily ..

The new Super Penetrator i am un sure of yet...However.. It does not want to in any way support itself as an 11 meter cb antenna ( and yet you know this is where most of its customers would come from )..

Anyways... Just my 2 cents

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated