• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I-10K/Sockwave model first run

I am still working with them, I want to make at least a Maco ring style matching network that I can tune, at lest to a point, I am concerned about the tap points, their won't be as many as there are on the actual antennas. I also don't have the capacitance of the hidden, if you will, built in capacitor on that antenna design. I don't think this capacitor would be required to make a functioning model, but it would be useful in comparing an antenna design with and without said capacitor.

I also want to expand the I-10K/Shockwave model some. I want to give the ends of the matching section more of a curve rather than just be straight up and down. I think that will lessen the skewing some, but not eliminate it. Weather or not the skewing exists on the actual model isn't in question to me, the question is how much. Not that anyone would notice the small amount of skewing most of the models are showing.

I've added the curve to the matching section of the I-10K/Shockwave model, there was effectively no difference. I also oriented the radials on the axis instead of offset 45 degrees, again no real change.

I made a first run of a ring type matching network, like the Maco, but with no capacitor, it only had eight wires in the ring, and by extension 8 tap points on said ring. One of those tap points had a tuned SWR low of 1.6. The pattern, at least at this point, is also not as skewed as the I-10K/Shockwave model. Compared to the I-10K/Shockwave model, one side has more gain and the other has less, the tapped ring design seems to be more consistent. I don't know if that will change as I add more wires to the ring and, by extension, get a tap point that has a better match.

The DB

I made a first run of a ring type matching network, like the Maco, but with no capacitor, it only had eight wires in the ring, and by extension 8 tap points on said ring. One of those tap points had a tuned SWR low of 1.6.

If you made the model for the middle of 11 meters, what was the ring radius/diameter. I think I just guessed at the ring diameter. Maybe it was about 30"+ x .25" aluminum tubing for about 90"+ circumference, and somewhere around 60 x 1.5" inches wires as I recall. I never fiddled with it much, because I was really unsure of the dimensions and the manual is vague at best. I asked other's for the ring size and got several different measurement, so I gave up on it. I'm not even sure how long that antenna is and I never had one either.

The match for the model did not work out like the real antenna...as best I can recall.

I don't know if that will change as I add more wires to the ring and, by extension, get a tap point that has a better match.

I think you need more wires. Keep me posted.

Last edited:
I used 24 wires for the ring, and got a near perfect SWR match. My problem at the moment is I can't seem to get AGT to come into line... I'm not happy with the .915 that I am getting, and that is the best I am getting on this finished model so far.

I need a break, I will have to come back and play with the model some more later...

The DB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.