1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

I built an an easy CB band J pole antenna with wire & ladderline

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by night.ranger, Dec 8, 2012.

1. night.ranger

night.ranger Member

I just successfully built an 11 meter j-pole with a long piece of 14 gauge insulated wire, an 8 foot piece of RG-58 coax, a small piece of PVC pipe with a whole drilled in each end as an end insulator, and a section of 450 ladder line.

I found a PDF on the Internet with the details for making a 10 meter J-pole for 28.400 MHz. I converted the dimensions for 27.205 MHz. It took me about 30 minutes to make the new calculations and build it. Next I hung it from a tree limb in a medium sized magnolia tree. I was expecting to tune an inch or two here and there to get the SWR right, but to my amazement the SWR on the first check was;

1.1:1 on channel 1
    1.1:1 on channel 20
    1.2:1 on channel 40

This is the original PDF design for 10 meters;

http://www.shadowstorm.com/cb/pdf/10mjpole.pdf

..and here are the new measurements for 27.205 MHz

Length of single piece of 14 gauge stranded and insulated wire = 17 feet 3 inches.
    (I cut the wire longer than 17 feet 3 inches so I could twist the extra wire back around through the PVC insulator just like you do with the end of a dipole through an egg insulator)
    Length of 450 ladder line matching section = 8 feet 2 inches. Be sure to short the two sides of the 450 ladder line together at the bottom end only.
    Make the coax connection to the 450 ohm ladder line 7 inches up from the bottom of the ladder line.
    For the RG-58 RF choke I used 6 turns of RG-58 coax at a diameter of 4 inches.

I built this antenna to talk to the locals since all my other antennas are horizontal polarization for skip.

I made a short Youtube video showing my home made J-Pole for the CB band for those that want to see it.

An easy and cheap homemade J Pole antenna for the CB Band
    An easy and cheap homemade J Pole antenna for the CB Band - YouTube

Night Ranger/South Carolina 116 on sideband

3 people like this.
  2. night.ranger

night.ranger Member

I moved my home made CB j-pole to a higher tree limb at about 50 feet plus. Skip between South Carolina and Pennsylvania came in, and I was able to use the J-Pole to talk to some friends in PA. The distance between stations is about 700 miles.

Chatting with Spitfire & Sparky in Pennsylvania on my homemade J Pole in South Carolina
    Chatting with Spitfire & Sparky in Pennsylvania on my homemade J Pole in South Carolina - YouTube

Spitrfire recorded my signal coming in to Pennsylvania, and uploaded it to YouTube. Here is the other side of the contact.
    Chatting with Night Ranger on Classic ch13 - YouTube

:D

Night Ranger/South Carolina 116