• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I did my first mod today!

bigred222 said:
ajw2685 said:
I had my wilson 1000 mounted in my parents garage on our big wood stove.
Thoughts/Comments/Constructive Criticism?

Are you another young operator????

22 years young.

I say "my parents" house because I live in an apartment in the town I had my internship in, 85 miles away. Now that I have graduated with my BS, I am returning to campus town in January to attend Grad School.

You might want to insulate that transistor (TIP31?) to prevent it from shorting on the heat sync.

ajw2685 said:
bigred222 said:
ajw2685 said:
I had my wilson 1000 mounted in my parents garage on our big wood stove.
Thoughts/Comments/Constructive Criticism?

Are you another young operator????

22 years young.

I say "my parents" house because I live in an apartment in the town I had my internship in, 85 miles away. Now that I have graduated with my BS, I am returning to campus town in January to attend Grad School.

17 years young here.

bigred222 said:
werent we all newbies at one time or another? hehe. Oh the things i would have done to that little thing now. Carl you should have seen it man. My 68xl Had a Chameleon paint job.(changed colors in the sun) it was very awseome.

I remember years ago someone at some website was showing off the inside of this Cobra 29 that was some super heavy duty performer..... some kinda of keydown radio for the barefoot class or something like that.
He had all those coils spread so far they looked like a big "U" shaped piece of wire LOL.... you could barely make out any thing that gave away that it once was in a coil shape. No coils anymore.... it was spread out so far it was just a mis shapened piece of wire lol.

I can remember seeing pics of quite a few "big power 29's" back then that had those coils spread WIDE. The big scrapper radios that the guys on channel 6 use LOL
Modded for the guys that want to put out soo much power. Not only do they want to spit out the most power on the cb band but also the vhf and other bands at the same time.
Your not putting out big power unless your transmitting on half the channels on the cb band as well as the vhf band at the same time.
LOL

inquiring minds want to know :) It's all good with me ! These guys are doing what they will with there own money with there stuff , they at least ask for help along the way , I worked in a shop in the early 90s , CB radio was really going strong in my area at the time , teenagers left and right were buying radios and big antenna's , tech would tune them up and sure enough they would be back with them a week or so later because they all liked to get inside them , it was all good , tech would usually fix them for nothing and put his warrenty sticker on the radios after that (something along those lines) sure enough , a week or two later , they would have the radios back at the shop for repair , though this time they would have to pay and usually then they kept there hands out of them there after. :) I honestly don't care where somebody decides to get started with monkeying around with there radios , that's there business , but what counts the most ,weather you blow up the train or not , you have fun doing it. Live and learn as they say.

well if you are good at clipping shit I know 100 truckstops that will hire you on the spot after clipping just a few radios thats all the experience needed. do yourself a favor leave those limiters alone. Also if you plan on digging into your radios be prepaired for espensive mistakes because they can and will eventually happen its a learning process. If you wouild like I have some books that I will trade you theres a whole series of of them I wont sell them but I will trade them for base mics or whatever you may have of interest just shoot me PM and Ill tell you what they are they are extras I have you will find usefull as far as tips tricks mods tuneups mic wiring ETC

And I thought I was one of the few people around my age(18 ) that had an interest in radio. learn something new every day! Also love the mag mount on the stove thing. Using various things as ground planes for mobile antennas. Been there done that. :LOL:

TonyV225 said:
well if you are good at clipping shit I know 100 truckstops that will hire you on the spot after clipping just a few radios thats all the experience needed. do yourself a favor leave those limiters alone. Also if you plan on digging into your radios be prepaired for espensive mistakes because they can and will eventually happen its a learning process. If you wouild like I have some books that I will trade you theres a whole series of of them I wont sell them but I will trade them for base mics or whatever you may have of interest just shoot me PM and Ill tell you what they are they are extras I have you will find usefull as far as tips tricks mods tuneups mic wiring ETC

Please people... IT WAS AN EXPERIMENT TO LEARN FROM!!!!!!!! I don't plan on keeping it clipped. I only removed one leg of the diode from the board to SEE WHAT IT DOES FIRSTHAND!!! As soon as I get the radio back up and going I am putting a resistor in-line with that diode to get full modulation without the splatter.

I never thought people could be so opinionated on something so simple ON THE INTERNET.

Ok, it is 6:42 AM, I just got home from night shift, I am tired and going to bed.

Your Fine, there are a thousand guys that have ripped/snipped/clipped the ALC/AMC out of there radios.....as long as you LEARN something that is the point of the whole deal.
I cut out my share of limiters in the early days, untill I got to listen to one of my own radios, then I learned why, and how to repair what I had done. Some of us have to learn by doing.... Nothing wrong with that.
Enjoy your Hobby.

Jeff

I agree with audio hes right there are alot of people who experiment people seem harsh here but take it for what its worth
. Also before doing a mod just post it and see what others have to say about it (opinions) Your ok I wasnt taking a shot at you just giving an opinion of my own. Just be careful with your experiments. :)

Please people... IT WAS AN EXPERIMENT TO LEARN FROM!!!!!!!! I don't plan on keeping it clipped. I only removed one leg of the diode from the board to SEE WHAT IT DOES FIRSTHAND!!! As soon as I get the radio back up and going I am putting a resistor in-line with that diode to get full modulation without the splatter.

I never thought people could be so opinionated on something so simple ON THE INTERNET.

[/quote]

No worries......don't think that anyone is attacking you... thats not the case.... its just a matter of everyone adding in their opinions.
Go ahead... clip... experiment... learn... try things out.
The truth of the matter is alot of guys run overmodulated.... when you start overmodulating just over the 100% mark, the human ear does not hear the distortion very well.... what usually everyone hears is that it sounds louder. Usually guys won't hear the distortion of an overmodulated signal unless it is really bad.... usually, you will hear an increase in loudness and not distortion. That is of course as long as your not REALLY overmodulating.... Usually once you start getting over the 110% mark is when it starts getting noticable to the average person.
If your using a stock mic and still have decent carrier power, your peaks will be overmodulated... but more than likly your average talk power will bounce around the 80% to 100% mark( maybey less) and your higher peaks will be over the 100% mark. Alot of this depends on your carrier.

The most noticable gain in audio "loudness" will be noticed when you bring up your average talk power...if everything you say into the mic modulates up to the 100% mark ( whisper or yell) you will be noticable louder. Alot louder than just clipping alone where you will have overmodulated peaks ( stock mic).

You can actually use the limter circuit to benefit you..... by using a power mic and keeping the amc ( limter) in tact, you can bring up your average talk power. A power mic with good gain will push up alot of your audio closer to the 100% mark... the AMC (limiter) keeps the peaks from going over 100%...... by doing this you are amplifying your modulation up.... and the amc keeps it from going over a certain point.
By doing this you are increasing your average talk power... with the amc clipped and stock mic your mod. would be in the 80% to 100% mark on average with high peaks going up to maybey 110%.
But with a power mic and amc intact, the power mic will amplify the average audio up to aprox.95% to 100%. The amc will keep it from going over the 100% mark.

You have made a noticable increase in loudness by just bringing up your average talk power... If you can get everything you say into the mic to be at 100% mod... it will be noticably louder than your average talk power being at 80% to 90% and peaking over 100%.

a properly tuned radio should have 100% audio.anything over that is overmodulated no matter what type of mic ya use.
not to mention splatter on other channels. :x

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?