• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I got my AM broadcast transmitter home!

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
I just uploaded a few pictures into my album.Check out My Album I need to wire it up to the electrical panel and hook up the dummy load and clean it up and check for loose connections etc before turning it on.It looks to be in REALLY good shape.After confirming it works as it should on 720 KHz I will begin the conversion to 80m with an external carrier oscillator.Sometime over the winter I should be on the air with my Canadian legal limit of 750 watts carrier power fully modulated to 125% positive peak modulation just like the commercial broadcasters do. ;) I have a professional studio microphone,a Sennheiser MD-421,an Altec-Lansing mike preamp,and a Gates AM limiter/amplifier that will provide the assymetrical modulation for 125% pos/100% neg.I worked with this sort of gear for 22 years and now I can continue to play with it at home. :D I think I may be ready to join the 3885 crowd when I get it done.

Very impressive Garth ! That will be an interesting project for sure. It's neat that you are able to do all the tech stuff yourself. By the way did you have to stop at a weigh station for that load ? lol :D

Well at 900 lbs. it was on my mind. LOL. I hauled it home in a single axle trailer that weighed in at around 800 lbs. so that made the total weight around 1700 lbs.I was driving my 2005 Ford Escape with the 3 liter V6 so it was pretty decent. I picked it up in VY2 land at the 720 CHTN transmitter site southwest of Charlottetown.Just after crossing the Confederation Bridge into New Brunswick on the trip back I spotted the weighers hiding in a side road and thought "Stay there! Stay there!". :LOL: They did.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.