• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I have to learn not to click "Buy It Now"

Haven't given up on this one just yet. Got it recapped. Here's all the old stuff in one place:
View attachment 28194

For the first time I finally understood why someone would pay to have a radio recapped. Some of those little ones were hard to find, much less get out. I even managed to burn my thumb at one point. Minor burn, no amputation needed. Pretty much healed now.

Now to get on with the build of the board for the CD4066 chips. Should only take me another month or two to get around to actually doing it.

I understand that fully. I am in the process of recapping 3 President Grant DX radios and the kits I got from ebay are not 100% correct. They had 7 extra 22 uF caps where I need 7 2.2 uF caps.
What makes it even worse is the one I am keeping has an echo installed as well as the plug for an FC390 on the back. So a bunch of extra stuff that I need to get out of the way.

Couple of thoughts . . .

If you need caps, you can get them from Mouser or DigiKey. They have all of them; none of the caps on these boards are rare nor unobtanium.

If you are doing just one radio and don't want to buy bunches of caps to stock for further jobs, then Klondike Mike (forum member) has an Ebay store that sells complete cap kits w/premium quality caps. Some are even upgrades from the factory choices. He has already done the homework for you in the kits. Good stuff.

Another thing: those cheap M-testers you find on Ebay for $7/shipped are gold. They are great for identifying any part you can throw at them. They also read ESR values to determine if a cap is bad if you are just troubleshooting a circuit too.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Couple of thoughts . . .

If you need caps, you can get them from Mouser or DigiKey. They have all of them; none of the caps on these boards are rare nor unobtanium.

If you are doing just one radio and don't want to buy bunches of caps to stock for further jobs, then Klondike Mike (forum member) has an Ebay store that sells complete cap kits w/premium quality caps. Some are even upgrades from the factory choices. He has already done the homework for you in the kits. Good stuff.

Another thing: those cheap M-testers you find on Ebay for $7/shipped are gold. They are great for identifying any part you can throw at them. They also read ESR values to determine if a cap is bad if you are just troubleshooting a circuit too.
He is the one I got the kits from. He has a different service manual that shows those caps at a different value and that was the cause of the mix up. I don't blame him for it in the least.
I ordered the 21 2.2 uF caps that I need from Mouser and they should be here this week.

Reactions: Robb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.