• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I inherited some cb stuff

unclegroucho

Dec 10, 2011
Hello all im UncleGroucho, im 39 and am a sheet metal worker in louisville ky.
I have been out of the loop on radios and came here to pick your brains
I have been out of radios and the such for about 20 plus years, and now i want to get back. My old setup was hr2510 that was opened up and loved on
I also had a Foot Warmer amp, tube type with 4 tubes, it was a hell of an amp, i dont have a picture of it but it had a pre amp ,ssb-which i used fo skip.
I also used a Big-Stick antenna and d-104 lolli pops.

My question is is it worth fixing an old 148gtl made in taiwan, it was new in box and when i plugged it in it worked until i keyed the mic.
These radios were over 20 yrs old.
I recently sold 2 cobra 2000 new in box with x tra speaker for $400 a piece.
I am willing to spend the money for a decent ssb radio

"That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard"
grouchomarx6.jpg

Be very cautious of unclegroucho and his stories.

Me thinks he's trying to bait someone, namely cbers.

I bought from coppers and had it worked on, extra channels peaked and tuned.
This was the best radio my father and I ever owned, we talked all over the world, we had good times. this was in the late 80s

To answer your question...

Yes, the 148 is worth fixing depending on how much the costs are to repair it. These were one of the best CB radios ever made.

Reactions: 1 person
help me decide

I just want to know if my old rigs are worth saving, or should I bite the bullet
and invest in new equipment
I have been looking at the magnum 257 hp
I have a 60 ft crank up tower
I would like a rec on an ant., not a beam
what size power supply would i need, i have a 12 amp.

I just want to know if my old rigs are worth saving, or should I bite the bullet
and invest in new equipment
I have been looking at the magnum 257 hp
I have a 60 ft crank up tower
I would like a rec on an ant., not a beam
what size power supply would i need, i have a 12 amp.

Maybe a rec on ant and the radio that was opened up and loved on is really all you need. :D

badfish i also have a cobra 142 gtl peaked tuned and channels excellant radio, but it does the same thing as the 148 what causes this?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.