1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

I need antenna help

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by jkp1, May 27, 2019.

1. jkp1

jkp1 Member

I've been running mag mount antennas on my pick-up for several years, Wilson 1000's, that I replace periodically as they corrode. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a new Little Will, ( tired of hitting all the low branches in the neighborhood). It never worked right. The SWR's fluctuated randomly. I thought it might be do to all the rain. Saturday, they went really high and stayed that way. Today, I bought another antenna, but it did the same thing. I tried 3 different radio's on both antenna's, with the same result's.

I have no idea what to do next. Can anyone help?

357magnum likes this.

2. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Change the coax and mount. The chances are that what has happened is the coax has become crimped or crushed where you bring it into the vehicle if its through a door, trunk, hatch etc. That will affect the SWR as the impedance of the coax is determined by the ratio of the diameter of the outer of the centre to the inner of the braid, a gap that gets reduced when you crimp or crush the coax.

Personally I'd do away with a crappy mag mount and drill a hole in the roof and use a fixed mount. Once you've done that then low branches aren't an issue unless you're using a rigid antenna like the Firestik.

3. RT431

RT431 In the swamp

I agree. Drill the hole and install a fixed mount Wilson 1k\5k on the roof. You'll be much happier.

4. jkp1

jkp1 Member

At first Ithbought that too. I got a new antenna and it did the same thing. I've been wanting to drill a hole, just haven't taken the leap. I get bogged down trying to figure out the best coax, mount .etc. I'm not lookin forward to pulling down the headliner either.

357magnum and Marconi like this.
  5. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

Sometimes, you can drill/punch a whole above the dope light without removing liner. Fish coax to the front, rear or edge with long stiff wire.

6. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

B8B8721F-1D3B-4262-93D1-09D286C768B9.jpeg

That’s was cool.

7. 2315 Robert

2315 Robert Grateful

good grief. Little Will will work but the others he mentioned are better. A 2 ft firestick with a ground to the frame of 8 ga or braided flat will give amazing results and low swr. I would think with a 5ft length on the 1000 a 3 ft Wilson silver load or a firestick would give great results. I have not experienced an swr issue due to rain. I have a few tram antennas that do do that. I have a camper that I put on my truck so normally I put the 1000 out on the hood. Not ideal. Yes I said do do.

8. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

The mount is easy - Breedlove antenna mount. It'll outlive the vehicle. The best coax doesn't matter, the run is so short, typically around 15ft in a mobile install, that it makes no difference you'll notice so just buy some good quality RG58.

https://www.breedlovemounts.com/puck-mounts.html

https://www.breedlovemounts.com/nmo-mounts.html

https://www.breedlovemounts.com/so-239-mounts.html

https://www.breedlovemounts.com/cb-ball-.html

357magnum likes this.
  9. jkp1

jkp1 Member

Thanks for the links. I've looked at those. Guess I just need to take the leap.

10. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Breedlove mounts are simply the best you can ever get

binrat, SIX-SHOOTER and undertaker like this.
  11. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Sr. Member

Also there is only ONE SWR on an antenna. That is why they only sell SWR Meters & not SWR's meters. Only one Standing Wave Ratio. LOL o_O

SIX-SHOOTER

12. FL Native

FL Native Registered User

and throw away the lil wil it is junk LOL

midnight special and RT431 like this.