• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I now know why Ham radios have heatsinks and fans!

A

ajw2685

I was listening to my scanner while driving today and this guy was telling his life story on a ham channel. These guys just kept talking, and talking, and talking! No wonder Ham radios have big heatsinks and fans!

Thats true. Many hams are pretty long winded. I guess thats why they got involved in a communications hobby.
I have some old hams around me that are able to talk for 9 minutes or more in one transmission. I know that because they have 3 minute time-out timers on their radios, and they have to unkey to reset the timer, sometimes 3 or 4 times during one transmission.
They don't need a fan on the heatsink, they need an air conditioning unit.

Listen to the 75 meter AM net! Guys flip the switch and go on and on about nothing......for ever. Still, most sound awesome!

The AM boys run some serious equipment too. A lot of home brew plate modulators and big power as well.

My rig has no squelch on it for AM though so it gets annoying listening to it with all the static crashes etc. on 80m.

All I have for 75m AM is a Heath DX-60B with a Sennheiser MD-421 microphone.It does sound sweet however,just not much power. I have a big gun in the basement awaiting conversion however. Hopefully I can find the time this winter to do it. No,I mean it this year. Last year it was supposed to be done but too many things came first plus I ran into a couple problems with it.I'll be the only VE in the Maritimes with a converted 1KW (operated at 750 watt carrier to be legal here ;) ) plate modulated broadcast transmitter on 75m. 8) Now to get it done before someone beats me to the honour. ;)

I used to talk in the NOS Group on 3.885 MC. They only had one "rule" if you could call it that - NO transmissions under 10 minutes! I always found that this was good practice for the college speech class I was taking at the time! :D

There is a guy whose call letters are W1HLR that operates a lot of AM down on 75 meters. I don't know what he runs, but he can throw a 45 dB over carrier on me on Winter nights from Maine! :shock: Super-nice guy to talk to - he likes to be called "Timtron" and is a broadcast engineer for WBCQ shortwave and several other stations.

That would be WA1HLR or WA1H yell R as he likes to be called. Timtron operates from Skowhegan and Monticello Maine and lays down a nice signal.He uses the shortwave antennas when they are off the air.I have to wonder about the 375 watt carrier however. ;)

Yep, that's the guy! I forgot the "A" part of his call-it's been a while since I talked to him...

I wonder about the 375 watt carrier, too. :D

Have you ever listened to his show, "Radio Timtron Worldwide" on WBCQ? He really cuts up and plays lots of great music!

sounds like hes got the radio world by the @$$ :p to be able to run broadcast antennas when there not in use would be the ticket. You really cant get a much better antenna setup than that for reaching out and touching the world.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.