• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"i refuse to believe you" why dont people listen?

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
i just dont understand. why do alot, and i mean ALOT of people in the radio hobby, mostly the cb guys but others as well refuse to believe the truth about certain aspects of electronics, rf technology and radio telecommunications? you tell them their information or what they have been taught is wrong, you give them the correct answer, show the proof which has been proven by extremely smart and educated individuals, yet they fight you, get combative, say "yeah but", or just plain say no, your wrong. they insist and choose to cling onto the false and sometimes ridiculous information the joe shmo amp builder, or some random radio guy said. they never open a handbook, listen to an electronics engineer/broadcast technician, do research to find the true and correct answer. it just boggles my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco and Rwb

Urban Myths -

Basically, a tale told by someone as a tale explained as a story of truth based on an experience they had or otherwise witnessed as an experience.

Coax length? Myth or Missing Link? For some setups it is a requirement as needed for co-phasing, or for some others - the location of and the design of the antenna makes the system functional at any coax length used.

Some can recreate the "truth" by demonstrating, or showing the result - thru an experiment about it and this is what they concluded. Even though the truth is not what is in the results - it is by the interpretation of the events taking place does the truth become more of a recreation of a specific type of event - in a series of events taking place in a natural form or sense. Making something appear resonate, when it is using a method of transformation from a non-resonate.

Well I think it is a bit urban myth and a lot of just plain bullshit presented as fact. You know the type, they know just a bit more than the next guy but has the personality where he presents bullshit with such confidence that people believe him. Through in a bit of ego where someone cannot possibly admit that they were hoodwinked, and you are left with some people that will believe anything.

I lose patience quickly, and cut to the chase with the accusation of:

"Arithmetic hater. You think arithmetic is a left-wing conspiracy to make your life tough, financed by George Soros."

As in: "It's not rocket surgery, it's arithmetic".

But that's where I disengage from further discussion. If they can't handle the arithmetic that disproves their lunacy, I'm just not interested.

Look at the nonsense you see with amp's. You can show them what Toshiba, Motorola or ST Micro said about their own produce and the amount of drive they need and yet people insist on thinking they know more than the people that designed, tested and built the transistor!

Same thing goes with facts and politicians and human physiology and insert hobby of your choice here....

You wont catch me over driving an transistors or over volting one or pushing my rifle brass beyond the reasonable safe limits put in place by the industry etc....

People confuse beliefs with facts and think that emotions are equal to facts and confuse best practices with exceptions and want to base norms on exceptions!

You can not save stupid people from themselves and should not try. You should likewise not pander to idiots and should call stupid things as such as a norm not an exception. When smart people pander to stupid people all hell breaks lose.

When I was in 5th grade I read the Asch Conformity Experiment and it changed my life!

Reactions: groundwire and Rwb

this fits some ,ehh many.
i installed my dual band antenna waaay up there. good friend of mine installs business band radios. he advised me how to do the install. low swr and i get out great . its survived hard winds. then a kitchen table radio screwerupper was at my house,got all in an uproar ,i didnt do it HIS WAY. i looked him dead in the eyes n said say whatever but when we are on simplex who gets the most distant contacs. he pops off his way is better. i say if it ever messes up i will call you .
the friend installing business band radios is busy n he has been installing them since 1975. i think i know who im asking for help if needed.

Last edited:
Science only works when it is measured, repeatable and predictable. Science only works when all questions are fair game! Science and engineering should almost always produce results in the rear world if they are mostly true! If it is a sometimes, never maybe situation maybe it is not ready for prime time!

I watched a video once on soldering once by NASA before we made it to the moon. If you soldered like that today you would be laughed out of a class room and off of the internet. It was the best practice of the day but electrical and mechanical engineering, circuit design, soldering etc....have progressed and new best practices exist today. New truths if you will!

Results matter!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.