• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I think I finally found the problem with my HR2510...

romakdaddy

Jul 2, 2009
ever since i got it ive had a problem where as if the radio was cold the power was way low,once you left it on a while it would pick up and do some decent wattage.i took it to the local radio guy and he managed to get the power to be higher when it was cold but it would still increase when it warmed up.he suggested to get a can of component cooler and start spraying different areas when it warmed up to see where it changed(he didnt have any cooler at the time)I just got some and ran the test(gotta love the deadkey button on those radios) when i got near vr107 the wattage went crazy and I was able to determine the pot is bad.if you even bump it the wattage will change.I found the value and ordered some from fleabay,well find out in a couple of weeks if it fixes the problem.

no luck.....i finally recieved the pot in the mail,installed it and now it wont fluctuate when you wiggle the pot but it still increases in output watts as the unit warms up.i performed the cold shot test again and found when you hit q113 with cold air the xmit wattage decreases significantly.i swapped it with another one of the same type and it still changes.its near ic107 wich seems to be a voltage regulator.that componant seems to get quite warm when the radio is on and perhaps the heat from it is effecting the q113 transistor.....any thoughts?

Maybe remove q113 and insert it from the opposite side of the board. Heat shouldn't get to it then. It is quite a common mod to upgrade voltage regulators also.

Try Changing C-60 and C-75, these caps could be what is causing the voltage regulator getting so hot.
Some guys will go as far as replacing all of the electrolytic caps in a complete restoration, a lot of work, but it prevents a lot of problems.
These radios are starting to show there age in that the electrolytic`s dry out over time and change value, or worse, fail.

Jeff

Try Changing C-60 and C-75, these caps could be what is causing the voltage regulator getting so hot.
Some guys will go as far as replacing all of the electrolytic caps in a complete restoration, a lot of work, but it prevents a lot of problems.
These radios are starting to show there age in that the electrolytic`s dry out over time and change value, or worse, fail.

Jeff

just swapped both caps,set dk for 5w cold,let sit on for 30 min and.......wait for it......here it comes........nope...still 12w dk after it warms up.ill try moving q113 next.

stay tuned.

Is IC 107 still running hot?
Can you check that indeed you have a solid 8 volts out on that regulator?
Something in that area must be heating up and breaking down.....
This is going to sound weird, but is there an insulator behind the final transistor?
I have seen very strange problems caused by no insulator, and Rogerbird has had the same thing happen as well.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated