• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I think my KG-UV6D arrived broken?

KB1WKI

Dec 3, 2011
I just got licensed and I bought the KG-UV6D as my first transceiver. I think it might be broken though.
I have read through the manual and tried google searching with no luck, so I am asking you guys for help.

Right now I am just trying to get it to change frequency. All I have to select from are 2 preset frequencys.

I'm reading the manual and it is telling me the key presses to do things, like to change its
working mode (I think that's what I want to get me out of the preset mode and let me scan channels) it says,

In standby, press Menu + S/D

But it does absolutely nothing. In fact all of the key shortcuts for various functions do nothing!
I notice it says, "In standby mode" and I'm not sure what it means about that (nothing in the manual).

I also can't get the programming cable to work. I made sure it was set to the right COM port, have the right drivers installed,
the cable is firmly seated in the socket, and when I go to read from radio I get "Failed connection" every time!

So yeah I think my HT might be broken.
Extremely upsetting! I want to get on the air. :sad:

If you think the radio has a glitch, have you tried to reset it to see if it will function properly after that?

It won't even respond to the reset command :(

I think I might be dead in the water here. I'll open up a
support ticket with powerwerx and get it send back I guess.

Is this a common issue with Wouxun's or did I just get really unlucky?

Goofs are no more 'normal' for Wouxun than for any of the other manufacturers. Sounds like you just got 'lucky'. 'PowerWerks' is good about making good on what they sell, so there shouldn't be a problem. (Other than the disappointment of getting so 'lucky', right? Not much consolation though.)
- 'Doc

Is there a key lock or keyboard lock enabled? That will disable the buttons and make it appear inoperable.

Good info. (y) I just looked at the instructions online and it says that if no operation is conducted within 15 seconds the AUTOLK feature will lock the keypad. If this feature was active when you received the radio it could very well be why the radio is unresponsive. Press and hold the key/# button for 2+ seconds to turn this feature off. (page 22).

C.K.,
There's a menu 'key lock', but not on the radio's face.
I think I'd give 'PowerWrks' a call about returning the radio. Who knows, they may send a replacement then rather than waiting, or, say how to 'fix' it. This is the first I've heard of one of their radios not working/freezing up like this.
- 'Doc

UV6D keyboard lock

All the photos I've seen of a UV6D show the far right button on the lowest row of buttons on the front is a keyboard lock button - a manual control. Should work just like the other, earlier Wouxuns. Overview details from the 409 Shop page:

Busy Channel Lockout
. Transmit Over Timer
.Step(5K/6.25K/10K/12.5K/25K/50K/100K)
. Keyboard lock (Auto/Manual)
. Multiple scan modes
. Wire clone function
. Programmable by computer

I'd suggest going back to the manual and seeing what it says about that button.

UV6D keyboard lock

I just downloaded the UV6D manual:

http://www.wouxun.us/images/KG-UV6D-UserManual.pdf

Menu 14 in the "shortcuts" menu shows how to disable that keyboard auto-lock function.

On page 22 it describes use of the button on the keyboard as well. I'll warn you all this doesn't format well from PDF for this page:

How to Operate
Keypad Lock (AUTOLK) --- MENU 14
This transceiver has automatic lock (AUTOLK) and manual lock selectable.
ON: Turn on automatic lock function. If no operation is conducted within 15 seconds, it will be locked
automatically. Keep pressing r::D longer than 2 seconds to unlock.
OFF: Turn off automatic lock function. If required, lock the keypad manually.
»Manually Lock: In standby, keep pressing r:z.J longer than 2 seconds to lock the transceiver, and press
again to unlock.
In standby, press Q + I:i3 Ii:D ,the screen displays :AUT8~:{ ~
Press Q to enter, it shows 'OFF', press D / 0 to select ON/OFF this function, then press Q to
confirm, finally press EliJ to return to standby.

Sometimes I have to hit myself in the head to remind me to "RTFM". I confess I had a momentary panic one time when I accidentally locked my UV1 and couldn't get it to do a thing, and I'd already owned it a long time!

Then again, I've said this before, when anyone builds a million of anything, some are going to have irregularities, and maybe yours does.

Nope, its certainly not the keypad lock feature causing problems. I opened a support ticket with powerwerx and
they said that because of FCC requirements all of their radio's get shipped with the keypad locked and you have
to disable with the software. Maybe its a new thing with the KG-UV6D? No one else says they needed a programming
cable to make the radio usable with the older models, so that's kinda strange.

They also said I need to call tech support monday to get help with the connection failed issue.

Hopefully they can fix it but I doubt it :(

I opened a support ticket with powerwerx and
they said that because of FCC requirements all of their radio's get shipped with the keypad locked and you have
to disable with the software. Maybe its a new thing with the KG-UV6D?

Powerwerx is marketing this radio is a commercial Part 90 radio, which is why they're doing it. It might make life easier for others reading this to just purchase them from www.wouxun.us; I doubt they will ship them like this.

Powerwerx is marketing this radio is a commercial Part 90 radio, which is why they're doing it. It might make life easier for others reading this to just purchase them from www.wouxun.us; I doubt they will ship them like this.

This is exactly right.

Also the programming failed issue was because I was using the wrong software!

They didn't print out new programming instructions for the KG-UV6D's so the instruction told me to download the KG-UV3D programming software. I was an idiot and just figured the software worked for the newer radio (im not sure why I thought this).

Anyway, the radio works famously (y)

KG-UV6D - Keyboard locked

Yep, My keypad was locked on mine also, I thought "jeez whiz", but after reading though the comments and then reading the manual I found where it said to click on "Menu Available". It is in the programming software screen under optional functions. Once I clicked it active I was then able to access the menu from the keyboard. :pop:

Yeo DEFINITELY need to use the software FOR THAT SPECIFIC radio! Use of the older software will brick your radio! No software for the uvd2s, 2s, or 3s!

Glad you got it working... and glad the older software didn't work, or you coulda had a worse problem.

KG-UV6D

I received mine and had a little bit of trouble but figured it out. One other thing You need to do is ( using the software ) is set the numbers 121212 to 000000, this allows you to have more access in your menu when not hooked up to the software. I'm still working with this radio, trying to learn all the quirks. I will help anybody I can.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated