• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I used to know this...

Bobcat

May 24, 2005
Deer Park, TX
Just talking legalities here... isn't there some class of license that you are supposed to have in order to repair CB radios? It seems that I remember something about that from years ago but now it has faded. Can anyone tell me?

Bobcat said:
Just talking legalities here... isn't there some class of license that you are supposed to have in order to repair CB radios? It seems that I remember something about that from years ago but now it has faded. Can anyone tell me?

It used to be a 1st or 2nd Class, and/or General, Radiotelephone Operator License issued by the FCC. Now the FCC allows a few other testing agencies to issue licenses that meet their requirements as well.

I always wanted to be a CB mechanic. How can I do this legally?

That is the GROL? I'm sure it once was, but now, what else can I do?

I had a First Phone and First Telegraph, back in the mid-60s. Then took the GROL test -- what a comedown from the earlier licenses! I didn't even put the GROL on my "I love me" wall, but you can bet those "real" licenses are there even though they've long since expired.

I'm getting the feeling that America has lost its "realness"

I love the "I love me" wall. I need one of those :p

isn't there some class of license that you are supposed to have in order to repair CB radios?

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 47, Volume 5, Parts 80 to End]
[Revised as of October 1, 2000]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 47CFR95.424]

[Page 539-540]

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

COMMISSION (CONTINUED)

PART 95--PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES--Table of Contents

Subpart D--Citizens Band (CB) Radio Service

Sec. 95.424 (CB Rule 24) How do I have my CB station transmitter serviced?

(a) You may adjust an antenna to your CB transmitter and you may
make radio checks. (A radio check means a one way transmission for a
short time in order to test the transmitter.)
(b) You are responsible for the proper operation of the station at
all times and are expected to provide for observations, servicing and
maintenance as often as may be necessary to ensure proper operation. You
must have all internal repairs or internal adjustments to your CB
transmitter made in accordance with the Technical Regulations (see
subpart E). The internal repairs or internal adjustments should be
performed by or under the immediate
supervision and responsibility of a person certified as technically
qualified to perform transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the
private land mobile services and fixed services by an organization or
committee representative of users in those services.
(c) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, each
internal repair and each internal adjustment of a CB transmitter in
which signals are transmitted must be made using a nonradiating
(``dummy'') antenna.
(d) Brief test signals (signals not longer than one minute during
any five minute period) using a radiating antenna may be transmitted in
order to:
(1) Adjust an antenna to a transmitter;
(2) Detect or measure radiation of energy other than the intended
signal; or
(3) Tune a receiver to your CB transmitter.

(Secs. 4(i) and 303(r), Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47
U.S.C. 154(i) and 303(r), and sec. 553 of the Administrative Procedures
Act, 5 U.S.C. 553)

[48 FR 24894, June 3, 1983, as amended at 49 FR 20673, May 16, 1984]

I like the " should be
performed by " Part....

Jeff

Beetle said:
I had a First Phone and First Telegraph, back in the mid-60s. Then took the GROL test -- what a comedown from the earlier licenses! I didn't even put the GROL on my "I love me" wall, but you can bet those "real" licenses are there even though they've long since expired.

When I took the test back in the early 80's, they had just merged the 1st and 2nd Class radiotelephone licenses into the General Class License. Back then it was "all" tubes, even for the RADAR endorsement, which was great for working with high power transmitters...

:)

You do NOT need a commercial radio operator license to operate, repair, or maintain any of the following types of stations:

Two-way land mobile radio equipment, such as that used by police and fire departments, taxicabs and truckers, businesses and industries, ambulances and rescue squads, local, state, and federal government agencies.

Personal radio equipment used in the Citizens Band, Radio Control, and General Mobile Radio Services (GMRS).

Auxiliary broadcast stations, such as remote pickup stations.

Domestic public fixed and mobile radio systems, such as mobile telephone systems, cellular systems, rural radio systems, point-to-point microwave systems, multipoint distribution systems, etc.

Stations that operate in the Cable Television Relay Service.

Satellite stations, both uplink and downlink of all types.

I find this very interesting , I've never known a radio "so called tech" that was rich or even close to it , most were is debt of some kind and always trying to keep up , why have so many shops closed down over the last couple of decades ? I would honestly think , if they were truly that good at what they do ,went to school ect.ect. it would more then likely be a 9 to 5 of some kind and they would be being paid dearly for it and cetainly not in debt or coming up with blacklists towards other folks doing the same thing , they would no longer even be giving Manny ,Moe or Jack a second thought on what they were doing or not doing. Folks end up where they end up because of what they know and what they don't know and that ends up being the best they can do. I would surely think if they were truly better then that , somebody would surely be showing them the money.

I know that, when we moved in to our town there were two, full-time, real, CB shops in this town alone!!! Of course that was in 1979. they closed up LONG ago. The closest thing to me is a CB shop set up in a trailer at a truck stop on I-10 and a shop that has been around forever ( a connected CB Shop & Lunch Diner ) about 15 miles from me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.