• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I would like to thank all veterans for theirs service.

You know the old saying:

"If you can read thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a soldier."

The logic is impeccable.

MOGVZ:

Your point about people needing to give more than lip service is a damn good one. I'll add that there are plenty of a**kissers, opportunists and hypocrites who hug vets and veterans' causes when they can gain financially or politically from doing so, but don't underestimate the good people out there who truly are appreciative of what vets have given.

The military attracts a lot of folks for a lot of various reasons, but most 17/18 year olds don’t decide to serve for the cashier at Lowe’s, or to protect a stranger they’ve never met. I’m sure some do, but having talked to many Marines the answer is usually much different. I can speak only for my experiences, but many folks are trying to leave something behind and chasing a better situation. I don’t mean criminals, though there’s some of that too, but I do mean broken homes, bad relationships, drug infested cities and towns, and things like that. At 17/18 folks often aren’t thinking about others, and that doesn’t always change as we get older.

I recall Jan 2003 aboard the USS Kearsarge, headed for the invasion into Iraq. A crusty and outspoken 1stSgt walks into the room and starts ranting:

All my Marines are worried about is what medals they’re getting! You’d think every dang one of them wants to be a hero! Let me tell you one thing, if anyone ever comes back and tells you I jumped on a grenade...you better go ahead and start the damn investigation”!!!!

I do feel weird when people thank me. I volunteered and just did the job I was told to do. Seems like some people feel like they're obligated to say it, or something. There are many that genuinely mean it, though. It's weird how all this started. It wasn't like this before. Usually, when I traveled in uniform, people mostly bought me a beer on the plane. I don't do anything special on Veterans day. Mostly just sit around and think about my friends that aren't here anymore, but I do that all the time. I don't eat the free meals that are offered. I think it's dumb as hell. I am not a member of any of the Veteran organizations.

I don't usually speak up in here...I never post...but this one is near and dear...I have lost family, in ww2, korea, Vietnam, and the middle east. When I say thank you to a Veteran, I mean it....heart mind, body and soul. Because I cant thank the family members I have lost. I look at pictures on the mantle, I hear stories from other family members, but I cant thank the ones Ive lost....Thank you to all Veterans....If I cant pay my respect to those that deserve it....What do I do? I applied, I took the written tests...I passed with flying colors, but because I decided to play football in HS and had 2 knee surgeries...they didn't want me...Im still proud of America, and I thank the American soldier that I am free. Rant over, Im sorry.....

I don't usually speak up in here...I never post...but this one is near and dear...I have lost family, in ww2, korea, Vietnam, and the middle east. When I say thank you to a Veteran, I mean it....heart mind, body and soul. Because I cant thank the family members I have lost. I look at pictures on the mantle, I hear stories from other family members, but I cant thank the ones Ive lost....Thank you to all Veterans....If I cant pay my respect to those that deserve it....What do I do? I applied, I took the written tests...I passed with flying colors, but because I decided to play football in HS and had 2 knee surgeries...they didn't want me...Im still proud of America, and I thank the American soldier that I am free. Rant over, Im sorry.....

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated, Hillbilly.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.