• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-2200H & the Heil Handi-Mic ic

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
Just put a new Heil Handi-Mic (HM-ic) on my IC-2200H that I use for a 2 meter base radio, and the improvement to my audio output is incredible. These little mic's do make a big difference to anyone looking to improve their voice quality on a mobile VHF FM radio.
I do a lot of nets, and even run net control some times, so I wanted to improve my audio so others do not have any problems hearing or understanding me, especially when running as net control on ARES nets.
Obviously you loose all your controls from the stock mic, on this base unit that did not matter to me, especially since I'am used to using the controls on the radio itself, and not the mic. However I wouldn't recommend getting one of these mic's for your actual mobile rig since the mic controls in that setting become more of a safety factor than a convenience.
I got the Heil coil cord for this one, and I can darn near walk to the other end of my garage while talking if I wanted, you can also get the cable that has the attachment for either the hand switch, or the foot switch, mount the mic in a desk top stand, or on a boom, and step on the switch to talk.

I may add this option later, but for now I can sit back in my camping chair with mic in one hand, beer in the other, and rag chew the night away....( the coil cord on the stock mic was so short I'd damn near pull it out of the radio trying to do that)......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.