• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-24AT - can't hit repeaters

BJDFL53

Apr 7, 2010
SE Florida
I am new to Ham Radios, having passed my Tech and Gen tests a few weeks ago. I acquired a pair of ICOM IC-24AT HT's, both in working condition and at no cost to me. One has a tone board in it, the other does not. I could not hit the local repeaters (clear line of sight) with the board in either HT. I purchased an aftermarket board and still cannot hit any repeaters. Both units transmit and receive on simplex and on a duplex setting to each other. I believe I have the correct tone and offset dialed in as listed on some of the web repeater lists. It appears that the tone boards are a simple plug and play into the unit without any further adjustments, but I could be missing something on this end. I have tried calling to other hams after they finished using the repeater, but no luck. :confused:

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is a great site and I have learned a lot reading the postings. I am reading the reviews and opinions on HF and VHF/UHF units in anticipation of buying a base and mobile rigs. I was quickly convinced that another HT would not satisfy my interests in this neat hobby.

Thank you.

You said the repeater was line of sight, but how far away was it? Are you able to go right to the repeater site and see if you can get into it with the radio that has the tone board?

Thank you for your response. ;)

I have tried anywhere from (+/-) 1/2 mile from my driveway to within a few blocks. I did not want to stand much closer as I was concerned I would be "under" the antenna and would not be picked up. Not sure if that is true or not. :confused:

Not all repeaters require a tone to access them. If they do then the tone must be set to the proper frequency. Are you sure you are actually transmitting the proper tone and also are you actually transmitting and receiving on the proper frequencies to hit the repeater?

Thank you for your response.

I am confident of the transmit frequencies and that I am kicking out some level of signal. The offset is working correctly as I can check that on the second HT that I have when I key the mike on duplex. I have set the tone frequency to what I have found listed on various internet sites for the repeaters in my area. The other repeater immediately in my area has a tone listed for them on the internet and I have dialed that in when trying that repeater. I have not tried any of the repeaters that are listed as no-tone, but perhaps I should drive over to the site and give them a try.

I can listen to several local repeaters - I just can't reach out and contact anyone.

Is there any particuarly good source for repeater frequencies and PL settings that you can recommend to confirm that I have the current PL tone settings?

I have been using Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily for data.

Thanks for the support.

You must have something not set right,either the actual TX frequency or the tone. I have been able to hit repeaters with just five watts into a dummy load from a couple miles away. Granted the dummy load was not 100% shielded but nevertheless you would be putting out a stronger signal with whatever you are using for an antenna.

All of the setting look right, but as you say, something must be off I did not know if there was any kind of reboot to the HT required when I plugged in the tone board. The owner's manual did not indicate anything other than plug and play, but I thought I might have missed something.

I'll continue to play with it until I can find a local Ham to help me out.

I do appreciate the support. Will probably be posting again soon as I sort out what kind of rig I want to set up for HF and VHF/UHF.

Thanks much for the help. (y)

Have a local ham listen to your signal on the input frequency with your tone encoder on,and his tone decode on?
If he can't hear you,but see's your signal then you have an issue with your encoder. Incorrect tone,low deviation level,etc.
A signal generator would be needed to solve your problem,and many hams have them.
n9zas

Have a local ham listen to your signal on the input frequency with your tone encoder on,and his tone decode on?
If he can't hear you,but see's your signal then you have an issue with your encoder. Incorrect tone,low deviation level,etc.
A signal generator would be needed to solve your problem,and many hams have them.
n9zas

Thank you for your comments. I did not know there was a way of testing the encoder (tone board) outside of tripping the repeater. I will try to hook up with one of the local clubs or a hamfest to gets some hands-on help.

Thanks much!

Tones

Ensure that you both A) set the tone to the right one (like 131.8 or whatever) *AND) Turn Tone on so you see a 'T' in the display/VFO/MR location.

Just a thought- as there are usually two things to set...which tone and turn tone on.

Good luck, let us know.

I made a visit to a great local Ham Radio store, Mike's Electronics in Pompano Beach, the other day. Mike was kind enough to take a look. All the settings were correct, but the unit was putting out a very weak signal - as in, just barely registering on his meter. Rather than spending any money on repairs at this time on a +20 year old unit, I bought an Icom V80. As a new ham, Icom provided a $10 discount on my first purchase. My IC-24AT has now been retired to scanner duty only, for the time being.

In the meantime, I am having fun with the new HT and programming local repeater frequencies. The newer technology sure is great. (y)

Now I am trying to make up my mind between an ICOM 7000 or 7200 or ? I really like the all mode portables, but the 7200 looks like a great unit that would be a bit easier to play with. I live in the hurricane region and want to monitor/communicate during the upcoming season, as well as casually make contacts when possible. There is so much fun trying to make these decisions. :unsure:

And the bigger question on my mind is what to do for an antenna.....:confused:

At this point, I am trying to absorb as much as I can about my new hobby so that I can invest wisely in a solid first unit. Still, I understand that radios can be very addictive.

Thank you all for the help and I will be checking back for opinions and moral support in the future.

Bruce

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.