• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-756 PRO II

KI4MSJ

Jun 4, 2006
Staunton, Virginia
Well, after a long wait my 756 PRO II will be here today. I just got down from the roof with a antenna analyzer and got my antennas tunes. Man, I'm so excited. YAHHHHHHHHH

I am using a IMAX 2000 for 10M and a Cobra Ultralite wire antenna for the rest. I have a PS 125 and SP 23 coming this week to finish it off. I run a Heil PR 20 with shock mount and Boom. I am playing with the radio now and love it.

sounds like a decent setup

consider replacing the Imax 2000 with a Interceptor I-10K
Far better antenna

the wire antenna should do fine

i would not recomend the heil mike though
i had nothing but bad luck with the 2 i had

that pro II is a sweet radio indeed
i'm still considering the 756 pro III

Yes, the Pro II is a VERY nice radio! Especially if you don't want to spent the extra grand for a Pro III. Not much difference betweeen the 2, except a screen saver, screen layout change, & a few minor RX enhancements shared by it's big brother, the 7800. Congrats on your new toy! 8) You should have a great time with it. ;)

I wish I still had my Pro II. :cry:

Well, I finally got the PS125 power supply and SP23 external speaker in and put them in line. Added my Rigblaster Pro last night and got the Rig control working. Still trying to get all the digital connections hooked to my Laptop. I am also waiting on my Heil Quiet Set Headset with the dual elements and Phase reversal. I broke down and bought a Palstar 1200 watt antenna tuner and looking at purchasing the Icom 1000 watt amplifier(but, having a HARD time coming off the $3,500 dollars). I have been looking at antennas and want to try and get away from the wire antennas. I was looking at the GAP Titan DX (10-40 and 100khz on 80)with a Glen Martin roof mounted 9' tower. This SHOULD complete my station but who knows.

you dont like your cobra ultralight???

i have one that i built that i use for most everything and as the old saying goes " if I can hear em i can work em"

just a suggestion here but if i was you id leave it up even after you get a vertical............

i have a maco 5/8 up to that i use for 11 and can use with the tuner for 10/15/17/20/40 and sometimes depending on the band the person i'm workings setup local noise etc etc the wire does better

of course somedays the vertical does better as well.

its nice to have both options to play with

scott

Here are a couple of pics of the new station which is almost complete. Waiting on the Palstar AT1KP Antenna tuner and will get the amp at the end of the year(Christmas present)
009.jpg

008.jpg

Nice looking station. Don't know if that radio top-vents, but be sure it has enough cooling space around it, that looked a bit tight.

As for the GAP Titan, just be sure you understand what you are buying.

I own one and for what I expected of it, I'm quite happy.

Mine is ground mounted on a mast about 7' high and 40m and up it works great. 80m is very limited with this antenna. The takeoff angle is very low and it really is only a DX antenna on 80m. Won't work well at all for regional ragchew work. It says it isn't required to guy it, but it's far more stable guyed just above the gap section. I run mine guyed with just two lines and it makes a big difference in stabilizing it.

Raising this antenna doesn't do much for improving its performance due to its design. It works just fine ground mounted and works nicely for DX, which is what it is designed for. Might want to save the money on the Glenn Martin or use it for a beam instead.

For 80m regional, you would be a lot better off just putting up a horizontal wire antenna IMO. I run a randomly cut hunk of wire about 7' off the ground, literally tied off to a fence post and tuned with a Palstar AT1KM and it outperforms the GAP on 80m by a huge margin for regional use. It even loads up and works on 160m as well.

I'm still waiting on getting my ladder fed doublet in the air and I anticipate a major improvement over the end-fed wire I'm just killing time with now.

Thanks for the reply. I have not decided on an antenna. I like to read and gain some knowledge about different antennas. I will most likely use the Cobra Ultralite until spring. I have an old wire antenna and considering using that for 6 meters. I seem to be having trouble getting the Rigblaster to work properly and to talk to Ed at West Mountain is a joke. He is so condisending and can't be bothered to help. All he says is that all the info you need is in the book and being a HAM radio operater you should be able to figure it out. Nice guy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.