• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-7600 vs FT-DX3000?

NightOwl326

Nov 3, 2013
Time for an upgrade, and I am going back and forth! I am going to leave this question open ended, so I can read true opinions in regards to these 2 models by those that have experience one or both models. I trust you guys, so give me some feedback to help me to make a choice....

Icom 7600. Everything you use all the time is on a knob on the front panel unlike the FTDX3000.

I know which looks more impressive on the desk to me as well.

Icom 7600. Everything you use all the time is on a knob on the front panel unlike the FTDX3000.

I know which looks more impressive on the desk to me as well.

Thanks for the info. One of my concerns is that the Icom is behind in the receiver, DSP area. The specs on the DX3000 seems to be more current in regards to noise floor and sensitivity. Any comments? But impressive on desk does matter to me also!

Love my FTdx-3000....BEST radio I've ever owned for HF....
The RX noise floor is super low...Add the MTU 80/40 unit(preselector) and it's Excellent!
Anytime someone weak tries to check in to the 75m group everyone waits for me to pull them out... It's either myself or a couple guys with the
FTdx-5000's that pull them out of the noise
All the Best
Gary

Man, but the ft-dx3000 with all its qualities, just looks cheap for the dollars spent. I can't help but think the tuning and clarifier knobs feel as cheap as they look on the dx3000. I hate the feel of cheap and light plastic knobs in my hands. Any real world SSB sensitivity, audio quality, and noise reduction comparisons between the 2 to make cheap, light weight knobs worth it! How does the tuning knob on the 7600 feel? Overall how do the 2 displays compare? Is the Icom light years behind the Yaesu in the receiver and DSP, noise reduction, noise floor department, or is it to close to call in the real world? I do appreciate the time you guys are spending helping me to figure this out!!!

I like the feel of the knobs on the FTdx-3000...no complaints here...
Love the screen...good res...functional...

Can't give you info on the "I Can Only Monitor" radios have not had an ICOM since the 70's....
I do know 2 ops that sold their IC7700's and another sold a IC7800 and bought FTdx-5000's.... or TS-990's kenmores...<gotproof>

But I like what I like(y)....look at my bench Pics and my equipment list...(y)(y)
All the Best
Gary

Thanks for the info. One of my concerns is that the Icom is behind in the receiver, DSP area. The specs on the DX3000 seems to be more current in regards to noise floor and sensitivity. Any comments? But impressive on desk does matter to me also!

Noise floor and sensitivity haven't been an issue for decades. Hardly anyone lives in an area where the QRM/N noise floor is lower than the noise floor level of a HF transceiver.

If you are worried, the actual tested difference by the well revered Rob Sherwood of Sherwood Engineering is 1dB. The FTDX3000 testing at -142dB and the Icom 7600 testing at -141dB. Sensitivity is equal on both at 0.11uV. 2kHz dynamic range, the FTDX3000 is 4dB better at 82dB compared to 78dB which is indistinguishable in real world use.

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Selectivity and ergonomics are the main separating factors nowadays.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.