• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 7000

K9GAS

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 21, 2011
I hope this isn't too late. For those of you that have them for a time now,
are you still happy with them?
I'm looking to pick up a new mobile tomorrow and the reviews, I know, on
eham aren't to encouraging when it seems that quite a few are having issues.
One thing I'd like to know from owners is how well does the feature of the
voice squelch work? From what I've read there's a voice squelch and voice squelch scan, that only responds to voice and not other things that break the static. That's an interesting feature I've not seen on other rigs. If it's what I'm thinking, that would be a neat feature for mobile, if it works in practice.
I have the TS480HX in my car, which I love, noise reduction works well.
I miss having a full function mic though.
In my box truck where this will go, will replace a 857D, to small to see, I would like to have the full function mic again as I can change bands, modes etc.. by feel and not have to work the front of the radio.
I'm hoping to pick some minds for thoughts on your experience with it.
One other reason for this direction instead of another Kenwood is i'm set up with having 2/70 in there as well.
Thanks in advance.

Who listens to EHAM reviews?

You have to consider all the happy owners that don't post positive reviews. Plus, if you frequent EHAM reviews often enough, you'll soon discover that most negative posters are entirely stupid and unfamiliar with their equipment.

The 7000 is a good rig. I traded mine off, but I do miss it.

Reactions: 1 person
i <3 my IC-7000 and will never sell it for another radio.

Forget eHam there a collection of weirdos.

You will not regret spending the money on the IC-7000.

i use mine mobile with an external 7" screen
i never have had to use the NB EXCEPT when a silly plastic Toyota Prius pulls up next to me. ( there serious RF bombs ).
The Receive is great quite the Transmit audio great too, & 2m and 70cm works great tho i wish it had 220mhz

I was in the market for a great HF rig and wanted either the TS-480 HX or the IC-7000, after playing with both of them a while at HRO I got a lot of information about the better filtering and rx performance on the IC-7000 which ultimately drove me to the purchase. I've owned it two weeks now and love it. I don't think the learning curve is as extreme as some people mention (because its so menu heavy as opposed to buttons). but it does take a few days to get used to. Make a half dozen contacts tonight and would recommend the radio for certain. The remote head is small and clean looking but doesn't feel compromised. The ONLY downside is that icom accesories are STUPID expensive.

I will recomend it to anyone, it is a great radio and I ran it for 3 years with out amy problems. I sold it to buy an Icom 756 pro 3 which I always wanted. I wish I had saved and baught the 756 with out selling the 7000 because even though the 756 is very very nice the 7000 was as good in my opinion + it had VHF and UHF.

Buy one you will not go wrong.

AR

Here she is about two years ago.

Attachments

• board-auth g.jpg
    board-auth g.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 207
i just learned about what VSC does and im amazed it cuts all QRM out completely and only allows voice through.

here is a recent picture of my icom:

2011-12-13_10-31-37_651.jpg

Thanks for all the reply's and help. I'm playing with it now. It's pleasing to look at.
I played with it extensively at RandL, hooked up mic and went pretty much through the menus. I'm running through it now before I put it mobile. Looks like a keeper. :)
Morse, that VSC is interesting isn't it. That'll be nice in the mobile. Works pretty good on the base antenna, it'll be interesting to see how it does with a mobile antenna. I may just
put this in my car instead of the truck and hook to my screen in my Flex. Ought to be nice.

Well after a day playing and getting it set up, this radio is really sweet.
I just wish the mic cord was like the Kenwood 480, it's long as it is and works
really well when you just bring it out from under the seat. The Icom is a pretty short
mic cord. I'll have to make a 3' straight through network cable so I can add a little length.
So far, I get really good reports with the mic stock out of the box. Maybe it's mixes well with my voice. On Mods sites there's several tips on redoing the mic to make it sound better but I don't feel I need to. Anyone else feel a need to have the stock mic redone?
Just curious

Well after a day playing and getting it set up, this radio is really sweet.
I just wish the mic cord was like the Kenwood 480, it's long as it is and works
really well when you just bring it out from under the seat. The Icom is a pretty short
mic cord. I'll have to make a 3' straight through network cable so I can add a little length.
So far, I get really good reports with the mic stock out of the box. Maybe it's mixes well with my voice. On Mods sites there's several tips on redoing the mic to make it sound better but I don't feel I need to. Anyone else feel a need to have the stock mic redone?
Just curious

My mic is stock from what I can tell with no complaints on the audio.

I went and bought a 15' cat6 cable to extend the mic. Used a 10$ rf silver female connector to connect them.

Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.