• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM 718 $70 Coupon

I wouldn't say Yuck to Icom but I did own a 718 once for about a week. $620 is s great price for a new HF rig and again shows why a new ham doesn't have to lay out $500 bucks at a hamfest for a 35 year old 'vintage" hf radio.

I couldn't agree more. I was just looking at used equipment prices last night on a "local" site. I'm trying to help a friend that just got his ticket so he can get on HF. Oldies but goodies, for sure, but having a new rig with a warrranty for roughly 600 bucks is a pretty good deal. I own a 718, and added a Inrad narrow filter to it. Pretty darned decent receive, the filter really tightens things up. I've had my Icom since 2007, and it still works great.

Brett

Reactions: 1 person
I believe HRO now adds another year warranty on top of the manufacturers warranty. 2 year warranty, can't beat that.

Plus, HRO price comps and has free shipping on orders of $100 or more.

Got an IC-718 recently from HRO. $599.95 including the extra 1year warranty. Added an LDG IT-100 to it and am VERY pleased. Have worked Europe, Cuba, S.America, Carribean islands on a 15m dipole in my living room. :cool:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Grizz420
I think im going to buy one also...im about to get my general ticket... and i would rather just buy a new radio than take a chance spending $400 or more on a 20 plus year old radio.

ICOM 718 coupon

Exactly why I bought mine a month ago. I got a few extrea discounts out of HRO (military and government) and got mine with tax for $599. Much better than paying $4-500 at a ham fest for somebodies problem.

I like old boat anchor tube gear as well but you can get that stuff cheap!

The 718 is an ok base radio if your not surrounded by noise.the filtering is ....ok.much better of course then the "boat anchors" .

Bought one years ago.when they first came out hro had them for 450$ and planed to use as a mobile .old radio yaesu 2000 was stolen .

Hooked it up 8 the house and seemed fine .When installed mobile it's front end was just constantly overloaded by power line noise.

Adding grounds to the ribbon cables helps a lot "I used aluminum tape and soldered to grounds" .

But in the end it just wasn't able to deal with the noise .

So if your not surrounded by man made noise it will work fine .But if your in the city I highly recommend a better radio.

At the time I replaced my mobile the yaesu 950 was the best price per performance at that time ..If memory serves me correctly it was 1200$ .now it is twice as much but the receiver on this radio knocked out the noise almost completely and now easily make contacts were I couldn't before.

It's receive is very close to my ft 2000d "3600$"

And not that far off my mp 5000 "7000$".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.