• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 756-pro opinion

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Hi guys. Wondering what your thoughts are on a 756pro in working condition other then the internal tuner. The price is approx $450, not sure if a decent deal despite the problem with internal tumer. For sideband operation only as well. Opinions please ? Thx :)

Last edited:

Great looking radio. It is now 23 years old so the only issue would be who still works on those and what the availability of parts is.

Reactions: jrd426
That is a nice radio and fair price for the radio if it is good condition and you don't need a tuner.

If you are looking to buy your first Ham radio I suggest you don't buy that one. There are better used radios in the $500-$600 range. A used Kenwood TS-590s is a modern radio that is still serviced by Kenwood.

The 590 doesn't' have the eye candy of the 756 but is is a better all around radio. The 590 has a great receiver and filtering. It has a USB connection to computer for rig control and logging as well as digital modes like FT8. It also has a built in tuner.

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/amateur/ts-590s/

Last edited:
Reactions: jrd426 and doffo
I'd go with the TS-590S even if it cost a bit more than a 756 Pro with a problem like that. As old as I would go would be a 756 Pro3 in good condition. The next step up is an IC-7600 which is what I got when they were first out. Now I see them listed used for $1K.
Be really careful if you are thinking of buying a rig online without trying it out first to see for sure how well it works.

I have a 756 v1 and I am very pleased with its operation but ... there is a problem with 756's and their screens. v1's most notable. I purchased mine with a replaced screen, I am good. I have purchased replacement boards over the years for good prices. I see now prices for replacement boards are becoming excessive. There is an internal switch that allows for 6khz TX audio bandwidth which is nice. I don't know if the newer versions have same.

I just looked on eBay and others make note that later editions are having screen problems as well ($$$). I don't know about the availability of screen replacements for them but the availability for v1's is near zero. The HRD(?) software provides a computer hook-up and display if the internal screen totally goes.

Would I buy any version of 756 knowing what I know today, no ... unless you come across a seller that has what I have in place with a replaced screen and extra parts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.