• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom "dual Watch" Function

Road Squawker

Jan 19, 2011
I have a PRO III with the "dual watch" function that allows me to listen to VFO A & B at the same time.

other ICOM radios/PRO I, II series may/may not have this function, I don't know.

anyway, I had the dual function turned on and was listening to both VFO A & B , I was tuning VFO A and when I tuned across the same freq that VFO B was tuned to, the received signal increased, not in "S" meter reading, but in S/N ratio, as I changed VFO A to a different freq, the signals returned to their previous levels.

at first, I thought that I was imagining it, but, after several times on different bands, it is happening.

That's not terribly surprising; I've seen that on almost all rigs that don't utilize true dual receivers. This page shows a schematic of the Pro II dual watch architecture with a good explanation at what is going on. I'm assuming that the Pro III version is similar since Icom has been using the same design on this feature for a few years:

http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/dw.html

yeah, I can understand that, but, I belong to the yahoo PRO III forum and I have never seen it even mentioned, perhaps I just missed it.

I found myself delibertly searching for stations that were right at my noise floor, and then tuning the other VFO and hearing them come up out of the noise

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.