• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom HM-219 MOD

Feb 8, 2015
Has anyone preformed the icom 7300 mic mod that removes a 2k2 resistor? Supposedly it yields a significate level increase. Good sounding stock mic but maybe there is a bit more that can be pulled out of it?

im using the HM-219 on my 7410 and i dont think it needs any more audio level. To me the icom HM-219 is great in stock form and what every hm-36 mic should have been.

Thanks for the input camaro. My problem is I don't have a loud voice and have to crank up the mic gain to get any response on the alc meter. Its kinda like holding the mic a foot away from your mouth (which I dont do) doesn't seem to have enough drive to get the job done.

I have not done the capacitor mod, just the output power in menu mod. From what I have read its the same results either way.

Getting off track, im inquiring about the mic mod, appears no one here has any info on it. Thanks anyways……………..

Reactions: L2
Well I went ahead and did the mic mod, as suggested it made a huge improvement, its like i put a power mic on it, actually had to turn the mic gain down a bit. Average ssb power is now at 80-90w, peaks are at 105-107w. I have the ALC meter with my settings showing about 65-70% My conclusion is there is absolutely no reason to do the ALC mod everyone is doing, its not necessary, but to each his own.

Reactions: Ranch55
Well I went ahead and did the mic mod, as suggested it made a huge improvement, its like i put a power mic on it, actually had to turn the mic gain down a bit. Average ssb power is now at 80-90w, peaks are at 105-107w. I have the ALC meter with my settings showing about 65-70% My conclusion is there is absolutely no reason to do the ALC mod everyone is doing, its not necessary, but to each his own.
I know this is an old thread. But I tried this mod and yes it made the radio have much more avg output and way more audio but at the expense of clarity . In my opinion it was a horrible mod. The smd resistor you remove and jump is a 22k. If you look at the flow it is basically inline with the audio wire that feeds the radio. Jumping a 22k is a big difference in resistance. Icom engineers put it there for a reason. If you must play I would suggest removing the 22k and trying 15k 10k etc. But Jumping in my opinion is a no no. Also there is enough space if you have good eyesight or goggles you can use a 1/4 watt resistor.

Has anyone preformed the icom 7300 mic mod that removes a 2k2 resistor? Supposedly it yields a significate level increase. Good sounding stock mic but maybe there is a bit more that can be pulled out of it?
Yes. I bought a spare microphone and did the mod. It did increase the level compared to the stock microphone. I use the modified mic.

Yes. I bought a spare microphone and did the mod. It did increase the level compared to the stock microphone. I use the modified mic.
I did the same thing. But now I have 2 stock mics because that mod is horrible. If nobody on the receiving end has told you that you sound bad then you are not talking to the right people.

I did the same thing. But now I have 2 stock mics because that mod is horrible. If nobody on the receiving end has told you that you sound bad then you are not talking to the right people.
I've owned my 7300 for five years and never had a bad audio report from anyone. YMMV

Reactions: Ranch55
Well, I went ahead and did the mic mod, as suggested, it brought a huge improvement, it's like I put a power mic on it, I actually had to lower the mic gain a bit. The average power ssb is now at 80-90w, peaks are at 105-107w. I have the ALC counter with my settings indicating about 65-70% My conclusion is that there is absolutely no reason to do the ALC mod that everyone does, it is not necessary, but everyone has their own.
Hi, I'm interested in your mod, have you tried a 15k or less? 73'

Last edited by a moderator:
i made the mod on my mic HM-219 , i solder in parallel a 22k without desolder the cms 22k , the result is 10k and the test with my ic 7300 is ok , mutch better . ( befort i changed the voltage in the service menu (for 100w HF) , the original was 4,333 v i changed it to 4,666 v not more ! enjoy ...73

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated