• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom IC-V80 sport

Demo

Aug 25, 2013
Hi all, im about to get my ham license. I read alot of reviews and am leaning towards the Icom-V80 sport. I think its a good starter HT. If I get it, I am also going to purchase a MFJ 1714 1/2 wave telescopic antenna because it has great reviews. I live about 10 miles directly south of Detroit, so there are alot of repeaters. Tell me your opinion on the radio and antenna combo. I just want somthing ez to start off with and am on a limited budget. I also just plan on using it in my backyard or when I go to the park with my daughter.

Thanks,
Demo

The V80 is a decent VHF HT that will give you years of service. Now that I said that have you given any thoughts to the Chinese HT's like the Baofeng or Wouxun? For What you're going to pay for the Icom but can get two Baofeng UV-5R's or one Wouxun.

i have been a ham since '90 and been playing with radios since the mid 70's. i have owned two ICOM HT's, a T22a and a T2H. I still own the T22 and have had since '93 and it still works good. I sold off the T2h several years ago. What I am getting at is for a basic HT you can not beat the Chinese models. Check the reviews here to see for yourself. I own a Baofeng UV-5R and did own a Wouxun. Either work very good and give you not only VHF but UHF.Give it some thought...

Reactions: 1 person
Hi all, im about to get my ham license. I read alot of reviews and am leaning towards the Icom-V80 sport. I think its a good starter HT. If I get it, I am also going to purchase a MFJ 1714 1/2 wave telescopic antenna because it has great reviews. I live about 10 miles directly south of Detroit, so there are alot of repeaters. Tell me your opinion on the radio and antenna combo. I just want somthing ez to start off with and am on a limited budget. I also just plan on using it in my backyard or when I go to the park with my daughter.

Thanks,
Demo

I am Sure it will be a Decent HT Indeed..

As mentioned though..For What you're going to pay for the Icom but can get two Baofeng UV-5R's or one Wouxun.

If you want...Even buy a Used Icom T90
Even though i have Many HT's..
my T90 has so great signal and audio reports..
I am usually thought to be a base radio..

With Just a decent aftermarket replacement anytenna..
i often hit repeaters 30-80 miles away
( in ny/nj metro area full of rfi interference..lol )

Another thing you probably don't need the 1/2 wave antenna. I can easily hit repeaters that are 15 to 20 miles away with just the stock antenna. One other thing to watch is the 1/2 wave is long and puts a lot of strain on the connector and can easily break the internal connections. I know this from experience.

Reactions: 1 person
I own a Icom V80 and get excellent audio reports with it. For a begining ham operator the V80 is a excellent choice, its very easy to program thru the keyboard, very robust and well made, almost commercial grade. IMO it blows away the "competition" in quality, ease of use and quality of your signal. Icom rocks!

I wouldn't use a telescoping antenna on the HT, the stock rubber duckie that comes with it actually works quite well, what I would suggest is a 1/4 wave mag mount antenna with a BNC connector such as the MFJ 1721 and that way you can use the HT in your car or at home as a makeshift base station... check out the reviews on eham.net on the ic-V80.

As far as the Baofeng is concerned I'd def look into the UV82 2/440 HT. My brother in law has one and it IS by far better than my UV5RA,UV3R+, and my UV-B5!!! It's next on my purchase list for HT's. I cannot however comment on the Icom V80 sport as I've never used one. Just my 2 cents sir. :cool:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.