• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom ID-5100

PD0AC

Mar 21, 2013
Not my cup of tea, but interesting for D-Star users:

Osaka Hirano, president of Icom Inc., recently announced a new VHF/UHF D-Star transceiver, the ID-5100. Two versions will be released at the end of February 2014: a 50W version, the ID-5100, and a 20W version, the ID-5100D.

products.jpg

Dual-band, dual receive
According to the preliminary specs this will be true dual-band radio with two separate VFO’s. This makes it possible to receive two signals simultaneously, and it doesn’t matter if the signals are analog or digital – any combination is possible.

Touch Panel
First seen on the IC-7100, now migrating to other models too: a touch panel. In an era where color touch screens are default on almost any device, Icom’s black & white screen seems a bit odd, out of place even. Readability seems to be good though.

Nearest Repeater Search
An interesting feature is “Nearest Repeater Search”, which acts a bit like the roaming function we know from cell phones and DMR radios. Strangely, this only works in analog mode.

Android support
With the help of an Android app it’s possible to control this radio from your Android device and (if my limited Japanese language skills didn’t let me down) even use it to make QSO’s. No word on iPhone support.

Bluetooth (option)
You can use a Bluetooth headset to operate the ID-5100. The necessary UT-133 interface and VS-3 headset are options, not standard.

Suggested Retail Prices (without taxes)
Icom ID-5100D (20 Watt): $779
Icom ID-5100 (50 Watt): $828

Hans

(Specs translated from Japanese to English, prices converted from Yen to US$), Original article here.

Reactions: 1 person

Nice looking radio and some interesting features. I hope it does crossband repeat. I wonder what the actual retail price will be?

Reactions: 1 person
ICOM 7100

A step BACKWARDS for ICOM.I & many other I know PREFER the COLOR screen over this excuse for a screen monochrome garbage.I am a big fan & user of ICOM gear but would not trade my ICOM 7000 that I currently own for a NEW in the box ICOM 7100.The touch screen stuff is not a big deal for me & I feel they are leaning towards the tech cell phone users & I don't even own a cell phone.I will stick with my current lineup of ICOM gear(756 PROII,746 PRO,7000,2820H, 91AD,02AT)& not be even looking at this crap from ICOM.Not impressed & even less interested in anything with another monochrome screen "EVER" from ICOM or any other company! ICOM needs to get their heads out of their butts or they will be second in line behind another company that I already have no use for! :whistle:

Clayton
W4KVW

A step BACKWARDS for ICOM.I & many other I know PREFER the COLOR screen over this excuse for a screen monochrome garbage.I am a big fan & user of ICOM gear but would not trade my ICOM 7000 that I currently own for a NEW in the box ICOM 7100.The touch screen stuff is not a big deal for me & I feel they are leaning towards the tech cell phone users & I don't even own a cell phone.I will stick with my current lineup of ICOM gear(756 PROII,746 PRO,7000,2820H, 91AD,02AT)& not be even looking at this crap from ICOM.Not impressed & even less interested in anything with another monochrome screen "EVER" from ICOM or any other company! ICOM needs to get their heads out of their butts or they will be second in line behind another company that I already have no use for! :whistle:

Clayton
W4KVW

You do realize that this thread isn't about the Icom 7100, right?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.