1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Identifying an original Turner RK56

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by rockytopcummins, May 22, 2014.

1. rockytopcummins

I'm wanting to find an old school original RK56. Does anyone know of any specific marking or the like to decipher between the old quality microphones and the new cheaper made ones?

2. rockytopcummins

Unfortunately not. I have found that statement. That took place within the last few years, and I had already found that during my research. Thanks for trying though. What I'm aiming for is and ORIGINGAL, even before it was Telex Turner. Going back to an original Turner from the 1970s era. I know it will be difficult to find, but that's what I'm going for.

3. CbRadiosPRONTO

CbRadiosPRONTO Performance Ready Radios

Still, that's spot on information from Bob.

CbRadiosPRONTO

4. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

I have two RK-56's. One is a Turner Telex, and the other is an original. Darned if I can find the one you're asking about, but if I find it this weekend I'll post a pic of the back. Best as I recall, the back on it was stamped into the plastic, not painted on like the one I'm posting a pic of.

[​IMG]

Brett

5. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I had one that was made in Mexico. It was built sturdy and sounded great. It was fairly old.

6. Atlasta

Atlasta Well-Known Member

I have one. It's not in the best of shape as seen in the photos but still works quite well. Would like to find an original replacement cord for it.

Attached Files:

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Crotchety Old Bastard

I think I would suggest you find a beat up old microphone of the 'right' time period and just remove the cord. I really doubt if that same cord is even manufactured anymore. If it's 'looks/style' you're after, as long as it has the correct number of conductors it won't matter electrically. If it's not 'looks/style' you're after, then replace the cord with almost anything, won't matter.
    - 'Doc

8. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

I was thinking the old original ones had the fat mic cord on them. I have a few here and it has the name stamped in the plastic on the back and the fat cord. not the long thin one.

9. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

Clean that Beechnut out.

10. CbRadiosPRONTO

CbRadiosPRONTO Performance Ready Radios

I believe the RK's had two different cord options. I have two old ones. One has a fat cord am I hate it. It doesn't stretch and pulling the mic to get it to stretch will yank my Optima off the shelf.

CbRadiosPRONTO

11. rockytopcummins

I'm not going for the "look". I'm wanting it for the audio quality. I haven't used one, but I'm told the originals have a much better broadcast quality than the newer ones. Better made, better quality mics.

12. medic18d

medic18d Active Member

if you find one open it up the original element has a solid back plate on it . the new elements have a opening in the back of the element . as long as it has the good element you should be good .

13. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Well-Known Member

I just picked up an Original Today.It does not have that gold emblem on the front of the microphone like the new model.I have not plugged it into my microphone tester yet so hopefully it works.

SIX-SHOOTER