• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I'm getting ready to order my new radio

murph

Aug 7, 2012
I have decided to go with the Uniden PC78 Elite because that's what I have now and I really like these radios, very durable and all I need or want. From feedback and recommendations here I've decided to get it from Bells CB. I want to get some mods and need some advice.
My question is....Is the Mosfet Final and receiver improvement mods worth the money, he says the receiver mod replaces key RX parts for better sensitivity and lower noise. What are some opinions on this, is it worth or should I just go with the standard tune up for $25.00 and forget the rest?

What to do what to do

PC78 Elite.................................109.50
Receiver Improvement mod.........28.00
Mosfet Final...............................39.00
Standard Tune up.......................25.00

Just buy the radio stock. Look on the net for modulation adjustment and peak it a little. Maybe get a different aftermarket microphone.

All that other stuff is nonsense.

Just buy the radio stock. Look on the net for modulation adjustment and peak it a little. Maybe get a different aftermarket microphone.

All that other stuff is nonsense.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for although for me to do a (modulation adjustment and peak it a little) is just not going to happen due to my complete and total ignorance concerning electronics.

I tend to agree with M42duster's comments. Most AM rigs have a pretty decent receiver from the factory. Also, I am not a big fan of adding mosfet finals. If you want more power, buy a higher output rig, or buy an amplifier. For the price of all the "tune up", which puts you at 200 dollars (including the radio), you can easily buy a small amp, or upgrade to a higher output export radio.

RT307

I really like those 78's. The stock mics used to be fairly good, but not so much anymore. You really wouldn't even need to adjust the modulation anyways. Just research what others are using for a mic.

One of the guys at work has a pc78. Only work done to it was an alignment. He runs a D104-M6B. A new one, post Barjan. He sounds better than the Galaxy DX55's that have the 600% modulation mod done by the local hack.

I really like those 78's. The stock mics used to be fairly good, but not so much anymore. You really wouldn't even need to adjust the modulation anyways. Just research what others are using for a mic.

A long time ago I bought a PC68 from a local shop and he took the cover off and pulled a coil apart and clipped a resistor thingy. I later read where that is a basic butcher job....True or false?

A long time ago I bought a PC68 from a local shop and he took the cover off and pulled a coil apart and clipped a resistor thingy. I later read where that is a basic butcher job....True or false?

Anytime you see someone clipping out a "resistor looking thingy" (it was probably a modulation limiting diode!) then you have spotted a first class hacknician with a degree in notknowingwhatyou'redoing.

There is nothing wrong with having a tune up done on your radio. I agree that the mosfet upgrade is waisting your money. You have to multiply your power output by 4 to gain 1 S-unit (6 db). The human ear isn't sensitive enough to hear any difference less than 3 db. Buy the radio and have him do a tune. He'll set up the radio the way it should come from factory. He'll put it on a scope, adjust the modulation, probably check over the board for manuacturing flaws, and probably check for proper frequency alignment, etc. Call him and ask exactly what is included in his standard tune up. In my opinion it is worth the extra few bucks to know your radio is set up and working properly. Forget about the rest of the upgrades. All my Unidens have pretty quiet receivers, while still being able to pick up weak stations. I would also upgrade the mic to an Astatic 636L or Turner RK 56. I'm not a fan of most stock mics.

I like a lot of different radios, Why not think about something different Like the Uniden 980 with SSB more money yes but buy it stock and later add a mic. It's allways nice to try new radios out. Just a thought.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.