• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax 2000 in a pine tree...

rockymount622

Oct 5, 2012
Rocky Mount, N. C.
I got an Imax 2000 I want to put in a tall pine tree and need about 100ft of coax for CB use with just a peak and tune on the radio (Galaxy 2547). Which coax would you recommend? Thanks to all who reply...

Just seal the connection real good and arrange for strain relief at the antenna end. That way, the weight of cable won't stress at the UHF connector.

Best to use coax seal putty and silicone tape. Scotch 33 is decent stuff. Regular old black electrical tape won't last long.

Reactions: 2 people
Scotch 33 is decent stuff. Regular old black electrical tape won't last long.

3M Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl Electrical Tape is the Bomb, stays flexible down to 0 degrees and handles Temps up to 220 Degrees @ 600 V rating........ run away from the stuff at the hardware store in the barrel for a dollar a roll.

Jeff

3M Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl Electrical Tape is the Bomb, stays flexible down to 0 degrees and handles Temps up to 220 Degrees @ 600 V rating........ run away from the stuff at the hardware store in the barrel for a dollar a roll.

Jeff

I have found with A99's that the idea of sealing the outside of the coax connector does little to prevent water from entering the feed line. The Imax and the A99 both have a weep hole in the base by the connector, but over time water may still enter into the connector via the coax center pin right into the feed line.

It happened to me on a ten year old A99 install while using RG8x, so I can't say it will happen fast. Now I use a non corrosive and non conductive Teflon paste inside of the connector called "Stuf" by Cross Devices. It is available at www.aesham.com stores. A little dab will do ya, and it really works.

BTW, I never succeed in keeping an A99 or a Shakespere Big Stick in a pine tree for very long. One was struck by lightening, and the other tree died, probably from cutting the tip out of the tree and stressing it. We only removed about 6' feet, however we do have a big beetle problem on pines down here in Texas, and that one could have been the beetles and not the RF.

In neither case was I really able to tell a big difference at 60'+ in the pine tree using RG8U and 213, compared to about 40' on a push-up pole. For me, I reasoned the advantage was absolutely not worth the effort. I don't know why the added height didn't result in better performance for me.

'Stuf' is some good stuff, lol

I use it as well. It's hard to convince others to use it sometimes. It was hard to get for awhile so I stocked up.

I've had good luck with regular coax seal on 99's and Imax antennas. I mould and push it up and all around the connector. I make sure the weep hole is free to drain and breath. Never had any moisture intrusion problems. I take great pains in weatherproofing. I don't want to climb any more than I have to.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.