• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax 2000 lovers, please share your DX Stories HERE!

Well, I'm looking at getting the klv-550, which puts out 600 watts. I won't be but 3 feet off the ground, but I'm hoping the preamp on the '550 will make up for the lack of receive in a ground plane kit. Anyone know more about the kits?

Snake Eyes

I don't know if the above post made any sense, but I probably won't have the ground plane kit, and I hope the klv-550 with its preamp and the Imax 2000, 3 feet off the ground will still do damage - around the world, if not locally.

Snake Eyes

King Mudduck said:
I love mine! I'm in a very good spot so I can hear alot further than I can talk. As far as the ground plane kit goes, I heard that they really don't help in transmit but do help you hear better. Do they make a difference?

Altitude is everything! The higher the antenna (vertical omni) the better!

The ground plane kits do not help. I believe this has been proven.

An antenna does not hear better than it can talk. If it hears better, it talks better. Gain works in both cases.

The 2000 is a good antenna. It has its advantages. I tell everyone, "If you can't and won't afford an I-10K, then get a Maco V58." If you must have a fiberglass antenna, I'd get a Shakespear, closely followed by the 2000.

Master Chief,

Regarding your post, are you claiming that the 5/8 wave 21 foot base pole army bigstick (for example), outperforms the Imax 2000? Gees, I must not be doing my research well enough. I ordered the Imax 2000! How big a difference are we talking here?

Snake Eyes

Snake_Eyes said:
Master Chief,

Regarding your post, are you claiming that the 5/8 wave 21 foot base pole army bigstick (for example), outperforms the Imax 2000? Gees, I must not be doing my research well enough. I ordered the Imax 2000! How big a difference are we talking here?

Rule #1: A 5/8 is a 5/8 is a 5/8.
Some 5/8 have lower loss feedpoints and therefore are more efficient than others, but whatever energy finally makes it to the radiating element, they will all perform the same (some with more energy)

Rule #2: An antenna does not live on gain figures alone.
Two electrically similar antennas, one being more MECHANICALLY sound than the other, do not compare apples to apples with eachother. I'll take the superior quality of the Shakespear over the Imax 2000 anyday!

To stray slightly, but to also make my point, this is why Jay's I-10K is the best antenna on the market! Not only does it employ a low loss matching network, but it is mechanically the best antenna currently on the market! The radiating element itself performs just like any other 5/8 radiating element, it just has more signal to radiate due to the less lossy, more efficent, feedpoint! (Yes, the top-hat also helps improve performance, but that will be our little secret!)

I choose the Shakespear due to its mechanical superiority. Electrically, I believe they both perform about the same. Then again, the Imax does have, what I believe, a lower efficient matching network than the Army Big Stick. No, I am not in the position to prove it. Its just my opinion.

well, heindsite (sp?) is 20/20....i wish i had talked with you before i bought the imax. I have used a shakespeare antenna before with good results, and could have went with shakespeare. I doubt i will send it back due to the large costs and it being an ebay purchase.

Snake Eyes

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.