• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IMAX 2000 - Results w/GPK? Balun? Mast Isolation

cominatyalive,
Good going....
I have found several problems over the years, by doing just what you did, except I used a 40 ch HT.

I once found a very annoying problem with the TV cable 2 blocks away and traced it down to a "junction box" close to the top of a pole.
Called the cable company and told them that they had a problem at that junction and it was splattering into the 10 meter ham band. They had it fixed with in 7 days!!

So, what you are saying - is that they will 'ignore' that complaint if one says they are a 'CBer' with a complaint. But; they will bow to a Ham's complaint of interference?
Cool...
I'll have to give that idea a shot myself!

I wonder if they will jump as fast if I complain that my wireless is getting interference as well.
???
If both complaints are made at the same time; they will need to get off of their keesters.

Thank You DXman,

And if the suppressor does not work, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I may just call the power company anyway regardless. You should see this mess of a pole.

It's like the control pole for the block or something.

I'm going to take pictures of the pole in the morning & point out the covered cables that are causing the interference. I've learned so much with this AM radio it's not even funny.

Wireless modem transmission noise, Light Dimmers, Black & decker sonic bug repellers, Flourecent lights, Cable Tv cables, Wireless mouse noise, wall wart noises, Computer monitors, computers, and the list goes on & on.

This journey has taken me months to locate the source. It's my own fault for not being thorough enough. But at least now I know it's not my house, my house wiring, or even the power coming in through my meter box to my radio.

It is being recepted by my antenna through the air.

I knew that when I hooked up my car battery to my radio. But ya just never know.

I'm so relieved. I feel like I've been born again. lol!

I'm just grateful to have friends on here that cared enough about a small time, green horn like me.

I'm overjoyed in finding the source. I know that you know how I'm feeling right now. And only people like you guys would even begin to know what I know or feel what I'm feeling right now.

And for that, I cannot give thanks enough. This really makes a guy very humble. I am going to share what I know with anyone that reaches out like I have.

This is a great place for knowledge, This has become my home base for fellowship, learning, and to share in my disappointments, and failures without embarrassment.

My direction now is 10 meter radio. I've just recently purchased a Magnum 257 blue LCD radio and I am currently studying to get my Ham license. I plan on keeping my Imax for a while now. But I've just begun here. I will eventually try a beam or perhaps a maco or a sirio, who knows. I may just stay with my Max. H_ll, I'm such a happy camper right now & I'm talkin out of my rear.

I've been feelin very depressed for months over this trouble, but it's time to go to bed, without frustration for once. I'll keep in contact.

I'm Smilin that's fer sure!
There is hope after all.

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin. After all Rob, I'm just a lowly CB man. I've not joined the ranks of the royal hams yet remember? lol! Night Rob, TY for all your support! You guys are the best! TTYL!

J

Rob - I have never told the power company or cable company, that I was using a CB. But if the interference is also coming through the 10 meter band, then that's what I tell them.

cominatyalive - I have traced down a "electric fence", which was 1/4 mile from me. Traced down a Neon sigh that was causing interference one day, it was at a cafe, 350 yds from the house.

The best one of all was this past summer. I traced down a S-10 carrier on ch 40. I traced it to a Sheriffs car that was park at their office - the office was 1/2 mile from me. Called the dispatcher and they found the car and fixed the problem.(y)(y)

One thing that has made it easy to find these problems is, I use my horizontal beam to find the direction it's coming from. Then into the truck and head that way and using the RF gain on the radio to pin point the source.

Oh...one more thing, when calling the power or cable company, be sure and have the number that is on the pole. All poles here have numbers and that will help them.

Hey DXman,

A thought occured to me before I went to bed, Those impulse suppressors for the coax, will these still filter out the noise from the telephone pole?
Since it's not actually a Supplied AC current problem to my radio directly? Or will those filters filter out receieved interference like I'm getting from the pole?

I figured,that whatever my antenna hears, is exactly what I'm going to get, correct? I mean, you just can't filter out what's out there right?
Now AC voltage noise in my feed current for my Radio is a different animal than something that's being receieved through the air.

Mmm, I just want to be sure before I shell out the cash. I'm still gonna call Com Ed or whoever is responsible for the covered cables. For all I know, it still could be underground comcast wires since everyone's power is being supplied to their houses from overhead. But then again, my cable tV/Internet cable is being supplied overhead as well. I don't have cable for my TV anymore, but I still use it for the internet though. Regardless, the noise is still coming from the pole.

Just a thought.

cominatyalive,
Re read what the filter will do, it drains the center conductor to ground. It is also made to stop lighting strikes from going into your radio.

Like I was saying earlier, I have not installed mine yet, but they will be going on the GP & beam this spring.

You could drop a line to the company and tell them of your problem and maybe they will have a filter for just what you need.

Also, you could check into getting a good "power strip" for your equipment. There are some out there that have "filters" in them, that help to condition the AC.

Something like that might also help some..

Rob - I have never told the power company or cable company, that I was using a CB. But if the interference is also coming through the 10 meter band, then that's what I tell them.
Oh...one more thing, when calling the power or cable company, be sure and have the number that is on the pole. All poles here have numbers and that will help them.

My mistake; I didn't mean to imply that you did so. What I meant to point out, is that the Ham may get more respect that the CBer would. It was meant 'tongue n'cheek'.

Nice tip about the number of the pole in question. I have a pole fifty feet from my antenna and it does get noisy sometimes...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.