• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

imax 2000 with or without?

Ok, Once again I'm asking for your knowledge. I'm putting up an Imax 2000 soon as the weather is nice and want your opinion on using the GPK ground plane with this antenna PROS and CONS... I want to talk local AND maybe a little skip but with legal power. The top of the antenna will be about 54' from the ground. Thanks in advance to all who reply! rockymount622 (North Carolina)!

I think it depends on your mounting location. If 12' aff with an aluminum roof just below fed point the propagation will be drastically affected vs on 16' 4x4 in open area.

Reactions: Alexis Mercado
Justme,
Can you tell me how any non-physically adjustable antenna can be a '5/8' wave antenna on three bands? It then being a '1/2' wave antenna on another band very close to those other three has me puzzled too.
- 'Doc
I've been waiting 10 years........still no reply.

5/8 on 11 near 5/8 on 10 close enough to get out and have a decent SWR.
on 12 bit too long for 5/8 close enough to have good SWR and get out, on 10/11/12 no tuner needed here with my 20 year old Imax 2 K.
on 15 it is a 1/2 wave SWR 1.8 there, good enough for internal tuner of the radio's here to work good enough.
The Imax 2 K is at 11 meters above ground with the base fed with 15 meter coax comparible with LMR 400.
Almost every day i work here withh FT-8 from New Zealand, aussie, china, Japan EU south africa, south america and USA /Canada.

Good enough for me, the Fritzel OCF FD-4 also works on 10/11/12 but mostly vertical is working just a tad better.
In the end i don't mind SWR to be under 1:2 just 10% loss nobody notices.
I look at the results i get with it, working all continents regularly now with the Imax 2 K says enough for me.
Compared to other 3 band ham verticals with traps i now have 4 bands to work with good results, no traps that go bad and also have losses.
And enough spare parts of old Imax 2 K antenna's for the rest of my life, having been given/ bought for scrap prices when lots of Cb stations here gave up.
On Digital modes i run anything from 20 to 100 watts there, i can make 1000 watts here withh the rebuild Heathkit SB-1000 the imax can handle that whistling from fun.
Hardly use the amplifier, most of the time 100 watts does the job.
From 160 to 6 meter were the FD-4 also works fine ;)
Is it perfect? no, do i need a separate peaked antenna for each frequency? nope, the Imax doees it and the results are there.
Get off the high horse beng purist use what you have or can use.
I use 11 meter just for local contacts with CB friends here, around 30 to 40 mile radius.
DX is for the Ham bands here ;)

Very handy tool gives you a good idea what your antenna's do and if changes are really an improvement ;)
Use it daily here with digital modes, now back at 15 though, conditions decent not stellar though.

Saw it filled in your call sign in psk reporter.
As you can do with mine though PA5COR and see what i worked/heard today.
Still on 15 will be back on 10 in 20 minutes.
;)

Reactions: S&W357
I run mine without.

Imax.jpg

Reactions: S&W357
ABove picture taken after one hour Ft-8 on 10 meter from PSK reporter.
All on the Imax 2 K today.

You can work FT-8 on a clothes hanger & 5 watts most any day so I don't see that as much proof. Do it with Phone & then we are seeing real results.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?