• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IMAX + beam below

Alexis Mercado

May 17, 2016
Hi guys. I would like to hear opinions regarding this. I’ve read that antennas like IMAX and A99 use coax as a counterpoise. That can make interference issues. That can be fixed by placing a choke at the feed point. That’s in case that this antenna is alone in a tower or mast.

I’ve also read that a yagi antenna can be beneficial to it because the yagi will act as a countepoise.

Here is the questions: Should I install a line isolator at the feedpoint ? The line isolator will prevent the IMAX to use the yagi as a counterpoise?

Will the use of a line isolator defeat the purpose of using the yagi ( Mosley TA-33 WARC ) as a counterpoise for the IMAX ?

i would like to hear from MarconI about this very technical questions. I know he is has vast experience modeling antennas.

By the way, I forgot, in my former QTH, I had the IMAX choked with a line isolator. Both antennas worked fine. Distance between antennas was around 3 feet. SWR fine on the IMAX as if it were alone, as well as in the yagi.

For short, what I would like to know if I can improve performance on the IMAX with the yagi as a counterpoise, the use of a line isolator would prevent that from happening or not.

This is what I read on other forum:

“ Essentially, a choke balun is designed to "divorce" your antenna from the feed line. If your feed line is coaxial cable then you don't want it to be part of your antenna. You want to be able to deliver all your power to the radiator itself, i.e. "the antenna". A choke balun does this admirably.”

Is that bad news for antennas like A99 and
IMAX’s ?

Reactions: ishamblen
Well,today I could install the yagi and the IMAX on top of if( same height as before ), about 2 feet apart and without the line isolator it had before. I didn’t want to “divorce” ( isolate) the IMAX200, that is the idea, to use the yagi as counterpoise. Bandwidth changed. It is now narrower. Here are the numbers before and after:

SWR —- Frequency Alone

2.0— 28,770

1.5— 28,315

1.0— 27,065

1.5— 26,035

2.0— 25, 480

SWRFrequency with yagi

2.0— 28,420

1.5— 28,040

1.2— 27,200

1.5— 26,555

2.0— 26,000

Bandwidh as companies show, from 2.0 to 2.0, the IMAX has a 3,290 KHz of bandwidth alone. With the yagi beam below has a bandwidth of 2,735 KHz. It is still a good bandwidth. Antennas with factory counterpoise like Sirio 827 or HyGain Penetrator always have narrower bandwidth.

By the way, since I had no big coax like before, I had to use new RG-8X from DX- Engineering from a roll I bought from them for personal use and to buy to surroundings cb’ers. I don’t know if those numbers will change if I replace it with a RG type or LMR type coax. Before, it had RG-214, but had to use it for the yagi.

By this slight bandwidth change ( a difference of 870 KHz ) can I conclude the yagi is being used as a counterpoise ? How can I verify that ?

By the way, those SWR measurements were taken at the station. I could not use an MFJ analizer I have because I have a Ameritron RCS-4 remote antenna switch which send voltage through the coax in order to select what antenna I want to use. I don’t like many coax cables into the shack. Just a single coax running inside the room, run up to 4 antennas.

Any computer program to model it’s performance ?

What do you think about these numbers ?

I would like to have the opinion of Marconi as well, he has vast experience modeling antennas. Once I read from him that found having a yagi below a Solarcon antenna can be beneficial for this type of antennas which come without radials and use coax as counterpoise.

In order to compare numbers, is there any thread here at the forum for any testing of Solarcon antennas with and without radials ?

Thanks for reading. Opinions are welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Hi guys. I would like to hear opinions regarding this. I’ve read that antennas like IMAX and A99 use coax as a counterpoise. That can make interference issues. That can be fixed by placing a choke at the feed point. That’s in case that this antenna is alone in a tower or mast.

Many years ago I built a 4 element 11 meter yagi from some parts I had from old beam antennas I took down in the neighborhood. Building the beam process took a long time because it was my first time building a beam. I finally got it to work well, as best I could tell. For years I used a couple of Stardusters up 50' as my main working antenna. They worked great too. This was in the beginning of the hay-days of CB.

At that time I had no concept in mind for Common Mode Currents (CMC) or a counterpoise.

At some point I got my first A99 from a buddy that said it didn't work. He mentioned about getting water in the antenna when he took it down after about 3 years. When I got it home the water had drained out and the antenna worked fine. Today it still works fine, but over this time period I only used it for comparison testing.

I once mounted it about 1' directly above my beam and I never saw any effects on it or the beam and they both worked fine. Later I put my SD'r above my beam on a 10' x 1' fence rail above my beam. The bottom of the SD'r radials were about even with the boom, right in the middle of its elements and close.

Again, I saw very little difference as best I could tell. I still didn't know anything about CMC or a counterpoise. That is some of my history on the topic up until years later when I took-up modeling using Eznec 5.

I’ve also read that a yagi antenna can be beneficial to it because the yagi will act as a countepoise.

I've also read lots of similar stuff about these topics. However. I was never fully convinced about these vague concepts, that I could not be see or measured. This is why I took up modeling...thinking maybe I could begin to see things more convincing and in more depth, and thus gain some understanding.

Here is the questions: Should I install a line isolator at the feedpoint ? The line isolator will prevent the IMAX to use the yagi as a counterpoise?

Have you tested and proved to yourself that the isolator worked as intended when used on the Imax and mounted alone without the beam close by?

I think your Mosley TA-33 is multi-banded. If you use it on all of its design frequencies, then I would be more concerned with how the presence of the Imax effected the beam isolator or not.

Consider that the Imax is vertical and the beam is horizontal...and this idea is suppose to mean there will likey be a notable polarity difference...like 20+ db difference, suggesting to me very little effects between the two.

Will the use of a line isolator defeat the purpose of using the yagi ( Mosley TA-33 WARC ) as a counterpoise for the IMAX?

i would like to hear from MarconI about this very technical questions. I know he is has vast experience modeling antennas.

Alexis, thanks for the nice comment. Your question here is the $24,000 dollars question.

With my modeling I can only simulate your isolaror device. What I do is use an Eznec feature at the location where I think you would place the isolator. This feature provides me a way to add a simulated capacitor between to wires, the mast and the antenna. A capacitor will not allow DC currents to pass, and thus the model shows the mast is physically isolated from the boom. More advance skills in modeling could possibly create a physical choke of sorts...that would work as intended. I wish I knew how to do that.

How do you know if your isolator is working as intended?

By the way, I forgot, in my former QTH, I had the IMAX choked with a line isolator. Both antennas worked fine. Distance between antennas was around 3 feet. SWR fine on the IMAX as if it were alone, as well as in the yagi.

Have you compared your setup with and without the isolator, where you were able to know for sure you were seeing positive results or NOT? I see many sites on the internet with ads and designs for such devices and I see a world of differences too. I also read some warning that if a choke (isolator) is not right then the problem of CMC can be made worse. Who are we to believe?

For short, what I would like to know if I can improve performance on the IMAX with the yagi as a counterpoise, the use of a line isolator would prevent that from happening or not.

This is what I read on other forum:

That is a good question. I don't know if I have an Imax model that might show improved performance when using an effectively working isolator, but I have a 1/2 wave dipole model that shows a feed line that is transparent (no CMC effects) where the model can use a feed line of any length with little ill-effects on match, gain or angle. This is what I describe as a transparent feed line. See the link below.

“ Essentially, a choke balun is designed to "divorce" your antenna from the feed line. If your feed line is coaxial cable then you don't want it to be part of your antenna. You want to be able to deliver all your power to the radiator itself, i.e. "the antenna". A choke balun does this admirably.”

Is that bad news for antennas like A99 and
IMAX’s ?

I agree with your conclusions here. My concern is how do we know if everything is working as intended.

Sorry to be so long, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

BTW, if you want to see my recent modeling demonstration of how I see CMC can ill-effect antenna performance, here is a link with models. I have more detail, but thus far I think this work is a bit complicated for most to understand, so I didn't add the extra exhibits that show models with different feed line lengths.

Correct Place to Test SWR?

I hope I made sense here. I might find some errors later and I might have to do some editing, but I'll try to make it clear when there are edits.

Sorry I was late in responding Alexis.

Good luck. I encourage you to continue your ideas, questions, and experimentations.

Last edited:
Thanks Marconi. Good Morning.

in my former QTH I did test, the line isolator installed just at the feed point, attached directly with an adapter. Both antennas worked fine but I do recall that the Mosley worked even on 11 meter with acceptable VSWR. That was a strange thing, a yagi like working on 11 meters as well. I don’t recall the numbers right now.

The Mosley also had a line Isolator as well attached just below on the mast. ( I didn’t want to use the ugly balun ) By that time, the famous Mosley ground strap was installed. Manual says TA-33 don’t need current balun and that is why the installed the ground strap was there on one isolated elements to make the antenna imbalanced to make it unbalanced because coax cable is unbalance. That’s what Mosley say, that a balun was not necessary. But on new 2012 model, it specifies that a balun can be used if you plan on installing another beam on the same mast to avoid any interactions or coupling.

But ( there is always a but ) this time I installed a current balun on top of the boom. That is the box seen in pictures below.

If you don’t see the fourth part on the I-Max, it is because I replaced it with a stainless steel whip of the same length as the original fiberglass one ( Hurricane María broke it ) which is very thin and it blends with the sky in the picture .

Attachments

• CC67C4C3-A50E-4636-849F-6D93C0807FD6.jpeg
    CC67C4C3-A50E-4636-849F-6D93C0807FD6.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 16
  • CE5792E9-C693-4CA1-AEF5-4A2C7FCD97FE.jpeg
    CE5792E9-C693-4CA1-AEF5-4A2C7FCD97FE.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 3660DF94-E9CF-484D-9199-3292E2E83371.jpeg
    3660DF94-E9CF-484D-9199-3292E2E83371.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum
If you don’t see the fourth part on the I-Max, it is because I replaced it with a stainless steel whip of the same length as the original fiberglass one ( Hurricane María broke it ) which is very thin and it blends with the sky in the picture .

You mention the fourth part of the Imax, my Imax has only 3 x 8' sections = 24' feet.

You mention the fourth part of the Imax, my Imax has only 3 x 8' sections = 24' feet.

Sorry. You are right. I replaced it the with a Sigma Eurocom Antenna which consist of 2 sections, one of fiberglass and one of stainless steel. This makes the IMAX a tunable one by adjusting the stainless steel whip. I lengthen the top section like the broken top one of the IMAX.

Last edited:
I finished testing and on both, IMax alone with and without line isolator and I-Max on top of yagi, with and without line isolator, found out that the line isolator reduces IMax bandwidth by 215 Khz.

Also found out that the IMAX without the line isolator, it’s bandwidth of 3,290 KHz ( alone on the tower ) go down to 2,925 KHz when mounted on top of the yagi, a difference of 340 KHz.

What does this info tell you ?

Last edited:
The only way to test it is to use a RF current meter to measure the common mode RF current flowing on the outside of the coax from the Imax antenna before and after installing the yagi and using a Field Strength meter to test radiated power at different elevations.

However the narrowing of the bandwidth certainly shows there is an effect. Usually a narrowing of bandwidth indicates a lowering of losses, in this case ground losses. The more lossy an antenna the wider bandwidth it tends to be hence a dummy load having wide bandwidth as it turns RF into heat instead of radiating a signal.

Alexis, back in the days I never tested my Imax with radials, but I had an A99 with a GPK and I tested and plotted the bandwidth with and without the radials attached. Back then I knew little to nothing about CMC's, chokes, or line isolators.

The only difference I could figure-out was the GPK reduced the bandwidth similar to what you've reported.

I don't have the test results anymore, but the curve without the GPK was very flat, and on adding the GPK the curve showed a nice bowl shaped curve that was very obvious. I did not notice any change in signals on Tx or Rx.

Reactions: Alexis Mercado
Here are the readings of the Gain Master on top of the yagi.

SWR. Frequency

2.0 30,690
1.5 28,950
1.0 26,100
1.5 25,330
2.0. 24,435

Bandwidth = 6,255KHz. Is it normal for an antenna like this to be so widebanded?

Hi again guys.

like it’s been stated before, the purpose of a line isolator or ugly choke is to isolate ( divorce ) the antenna to use the coax as a counterpoise .

But what about radial kits, the mast, tower, yagi below ?

Will they still have any influence on takeoff angle ?

I am asking because I am planing on replacing the Gain Master for a I-Max 2000 with a line isolator.

The yagi below already has it’s 1:1 balun.

For years it’s been said a yagi can act like radials for this type of antennas, therefore would be beneficial. There will be 2 feet from yagi to I-Max.

What do you think guys ?

I am doing this because I’ve seen that the GM is not working as expected on top of the yagi.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.