• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

impedance matching help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzsinger
Snip a load of waffle..

108" is a stock length. You cut it to tune it to the frequency you want.

:headbang

A load of waffle, is that a technical term from planet Conor for I'm out my fucking depth here? Someone throw me a lifejacket? :eek:

Because something is stock don't mean its right.

You never mentioned cutting anything, especially bullshit, you stated a 108" whip is a 1/4 wave at 11m, i proved you wrong again, as CK has just stated 102" is stock length in the North American continent, do you propose they cut theirs too?

Think I've already proved that would worsen things,not improve them. Incidentally 108 inch whips originated from the States, back in the early 80's when cb boomed in our country, (you probably missed that) the retailers bought huge amounts of surplus ones as the cb boom in the US had already died, back then only whips that were 102" from what I recall were fibreglass/plastic coated which would change the dielectric constant and signal propagation speed compared to air dielectric and shorten the whip just like dielectric in coax does.exactly the reason air celled coax has a much higher velocity factor than solid dielectrics or foam which is a cross between the two and due to its lesser air content lies between the two in velocity factor too.

Where the crossover to 102" stainless steel ones came from i can only imagine one dumbass manufacturer got it wrong and others followed and in the common case of most manufacturers won't change it now as that would damage their ego's,

cb'ers in the USA and Canada have been posting for years 102" whips are too short and they have to use springs,which have a copper braid running inside to tune them,as it becomes part of the radiating system.a bit of solid stainless steel rod tapped to 3/8 th thread at both ends would serve the same purpose,if i recall you can get hexagonal spacers of that size although not sure if they'd be long enough.

MFJ are one company that either realised their error or didn't buy that shit in the first place,I think you'll find their MFJ-1966 is stock 108".
MFJ Enterprises Inc.

Ummmmm.....I should point out that the 102 inch antenna I have is indeed fiberglass and I still had to cut about two inches off it and NOT use a spring to make it useable on the high end of 10m. I used to work 10m FM quite a bit years back and wanted the antenna bandwidth to allow a half decent SWR on 29.500-29-700 MHz as well as down near 28.400. Leaving it at the stock length of 102 inches made it fine for the low end of 10m but unacceptably high for the FM portion of the band.

The thing to remember is that the same antenna mounted on different vehicles or even in different locations on the same vehicle can and will affect the overall impedance somewhat to varying degrees. It has too. You are changing the other half of the antenna system.

Ummmmm.....I should point out that the 102 inch antenna I have is indeed fiberglass and I still had to cut about two inches off it and NOT use a spring to make it useable on the high end of 10m. I used to work 10m FM quite a bit years back and wanted the antenna bandwidth to allow a half decent SWR on 29.500-29-700 MHz as well as down near 28.400. Leaving it at the stock length of 102 inches made it fine for the low end of 10m but unacceptably high for the FM portion of the band.

The thing to remember is that the same antenna mounted on different vehicles or even in different locations on the same vehicle can and will affect the overall impedance somewhat to varying degrees. It has too. You are changing the other half of the antenna system.

Deffo agree with you Garth, some vehicles can be a nightmare to get a decent swr on as can some locations on an otherwise good vehicle with the whip centrally mounted,will also change radiation pattern too,usually in favour of the direction/s of most metal.

Bare in mind the figures i gave for 10m were for a steel whip, I'd expect a 102" fibreglass cb whip would need trimming for 10m too so would be shorter than the 102.26" i quoted for 28.000 Mhz on a steel whip, thats just to resonate it, no guarantee swr will be much under 1.5:1 at band centre and could be higher as you say depending on placement and vehicle.

I'm sure even the ground under the vehicle or surrounding objects can also affect impedance and radiation angle too. A high sided vehicle like a bus or truck drawing up beside you can detune antenna,i witnessed it many times out mobile, it even caused the tx on my old TS50 to trip one day, as I'd been lazy and just fired the hp4000 on, swr wasn't too bad on band E, high end of 27 mhz but i was on band B at the low end of 26 mhz my hunting ground and it wasn't great,about 2.5:1, a lorry came up from behind us under a railway bridge as i was talking to a station in the Bronx,swr went passed 3.0:1 and TS50 is touchy as fuck about 3.0:1.Took a while for it to come back on,but shit happens, just another lost contact. Cracking wee radio mind, don't know why they discontinued that one. Had 2 of them and love them, my first choice hf set,followed by 706,ts430 and my dream machine the ts950sdx,

Speaking of antenna placement and tuning, several years ago I spent the better part of two days mounting and tuning an 80m mobile antenna along with bonding body panels etc. I finally had the antenna tuned nicely for the 80m DX window at 3780-3800 which was nearly all the allowable bandwidth of that particular antenna. I was feeling good about it and was looking forward to trying it out later that night. The wife was working that night and I had planned to play a little bit after the band improved that evening. After she left for work I went out and checked the band. It seemed as if it was starting to open up good. I keyed up the FT-857 on 3795 and saw the high SWR indicator flashing. WTF?? It was fine a short while ago. In fact it was GREAT. I was POed at this point and got my antenna analyzer and started to check out a few things. The resonant point was way off from what I had it set at initially. After a little head scratching it suddenly hit me what happened. The wife's vehicle was no longer parked next to mine. :headbangThe other half of a huge capacitor was no longer there. No mobile 80m playtime that evening. I had to retune the antenna the following day and that time I did it away from her vehicle.

Speaking of antenna placement and tuning, several years ago I spent the better part of two days mounting and tuning an 80m mobile antenna along with bonding body panels etc. I finally had the antenna tuned nicely for the 80m DX window at 3780-3800 which was nearly all the allowable bandwidth of that particular antenna. I was feeling good about it and was looking forward to trying it out later that night. The wife was working that night and I had planned to play a little bit after the band improved that evening. After she left for work I went out and checked the band. It seemed as if it was starting to open up good. I keyed up the FT-857 on 3795 and saw the high SWR indicator flashing. WTF?? It was fine a short while ago. In fact it was GREAT. I was POed at this point and got my antenna analyzer and started to check out a few things. The resonant point was way off from what I had it set at initially. After a little head scratching it suddenly hit me what happened. The wife's vehicle was no longer parked next to mine. :headbangThe other half of a huge capacitor was no longer there. No mobile 80m playtime that evening. I had to retune the antenna the following day and that time I did it away from her vehicle.

retune or drag the wife everywhere you go to shoot some prop, tough choice ;):laugh::laugh: . But it does show just how important tuning antennas near metal objects can affect it, my mate had a similar dilemma, i'd tuned his hp4000 perfectly and we'd been using it non stop for months, he was sitting outside my mums house which obviously i know the environment in the street well as i grew up there, he phoned me to come out his swr was in the red, i laughed and said move away fae the lampost then (obviously with me, not as politely, lol), i had seen it detune plenty antennas over the years, thats why i always tuned antennas in that street right between lamposts which were about 50/60ft apart.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.