• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

In-line SWR/watt meter

GUMBALL1

Apr 3, 2005
Hayward, CA
I am installing a Magnum S9/X-Force 200HD in a van, and want to put a meter in line to read output - which means between the amp and the antenna.
I have been looking at the Autek WM-1, Radio Shack MTA-20, Palstar PM-2000, etc.
Which is better..? Is there another that I haven't found..?
Suggestions..??

I suggest you check out your system with a meter and compare it to the meter in the radio without a meter inline. If the results compare pretty close then use the meter in the radio and forget the inline meter.

You are right GB, you won't be able to see the output from the amp without a meter in line, but I just did not like the bother of another device in the mobile to worry about as I was driving.

Sorry, I don't know the advantages/disadvantages of the meters you mention. You will just have to figure out how to mount it so it doesn't go flying every time you brake hard and get one you like to look at.

How much output will that setup make?

I have a Autek WM-1 meter and love it. There is one for sale on QTH.com now for $100.00. I think I may have paid less for mine, can't remember. Anyway it takes a 12 power supply also to run. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

the palstar would be good.DONT get any radio shack meter
while the rms=dk seem to be very close the pep=swing is
way off.i dont know much about the palstar but if ya need
12volts for meter to work id try hooking into cigerette lighter
just to keep it simple

Watch out for the earlier Autek WM-1s. According to reviews on eHam, some of these had some nasty QA/QC problems - sounds as bad as MFJ on some of them.

GUMBALL1 said:
I am installing a Magnum S9/X-Force 200HD in a van, and want to put a meter in line to read output - which means between the amp and the antenna.
I have been looking at the Autek WM-1, Radio Shack MTA-20, Palstar PM-2000, etc.
Which is better..? Is there another that I haven't found..?
Suggestions..??

Comet CMX-1
Remote sampling unit and campact size meter movement. Does not read pep just RMS......but it does have cross needles for reading SWR without calibrating.
The 300 watt scale would be perfect for what you plan to run.

http://www.technologysales.org/servlet/the-96/COMET-CMX-dsh-1-SWR-fdsh-POWER-METER/Detail

Beetle said:
Watch out for the earlier Autek WM-1s. According to reviews on eHam, some of these had some nasty QA/QC problems - sounds as bad as MFJ on some of them.

Not to mention the customer service there is the worst.

get a amp meter and a volt meter. bring a little calculator. amps x volts x.70 (as a balpark 70% effency, most are around 50%)

12.8v (most common charging voltage under 3800rpm) x 24amp draw = 307.2 watts at 100% efficency

307.2 x .70 (70%) = 215.04 watts out.

about what a pair of 2879's use. i always get a kick out of it when people say 2 90 watt transistors do 400 watts.

only way your ever going to read true output accuratly other than a scope.

Carl said:
get a amp meter and a volt meter. bring a little calculator. amps x volts x.70 (as a balpark 70% effency, most are around 50%)

12.8v (most common charging voltage under 3800rpm) x 24amp draw = 307.2 watts at 100% efficency

about what a pair of 2879's use. i always get a kick out of it when people say 2 90 watt transistors do 400 watts.

Wouldn't it be easier just to put a watt meter in line? :roll:

Carl said:

What's accurate about guessing what the efficiency is? In order to accurately determine the true efficiency you must first be able to accurately determine the true power output. Sounds like a catch 22 to me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.