• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

In need of wisdom for new radio

I have no idea what the quote below means, so how do I explain to the shop I choose this is what I want? Copy and paste?

Turp you will only sound as good as the Tech is that tunes your radio. You might check out DTB radio's site. He is also a forum member, have your radio worked on one time when you buy it and leave it alone.

As far as amps, you are much better running your Texas Star 250 then that Palomar Elite 300. I used to sell the Elite 300's and they are nothing but cheap junk.

If you want something wild done Doug at Custom cb Radio is also very good. He is a fanatic about his radio mods and the tech work he does is second to none. You just need to decide on what you want as far as extra channels, FM & SSB, echo & talk back, large meter, and so on. Choose a radio that has what you need.

Last, if you do run the amp make sure the feed line your company supply's is heavy enough. Put your watt meter after the amp and take all SWR and wattage readings there. Not between the radio and amp.

Good luck in your search.

I have no idea what the quote below means, so how do I explain to the shop I choose this is what I want? Copy and paste?

the shop will know what you want, no clipping only convert to 11meters(will run 10,11,and12meters-can only listen on 10 and 12 unless if you are a ham)align,and tweak. DTB is highly recommended.

As far as i know the stryker is not in full production-I saw a prototype on utube-someone correct me if the stryker is out.

AFAIK the stryker is not full SMT technology, i like how it looks and may consider it for a base but not for my mobile if it's not full smt-because of my rough roads.

it's hard to figure out which candy to buy!

It looks ok, but you need some air moving through there or the amp is going to get hot.
Fan on the heat-sink, and a 4" hole in the back of that amp compartment with a 4" fan pushing air through the box, or pulling it out.
They make heat and you got to get rid of it.

Reactions: 1 person
Lots of both around here.
The 2950 will get loud on AM but the 979 can get a little louder, both are screamers, if you're into that.

If you're wanting to get into SSB and don't want to add the headache/nightmare of drifting then stay clear of Galaxy period.

I like them but I have enough knowledge to add a TCXO (Temperature Controlled Crystal-'X' Oscillator) to the reference oscillator to stabilize it's frequency on SSB, without which it will drift about a friggin' KC during warm-up, then keep drifting up & down the entire time you're talking.

The latest 2950 is quite a good sounding unit and with a nice Texas Star250/350/667 behind it, it would not disappoint.

Roger on, "The rig is only as good as it's Tech!"

- Or you could just get a Yaesu FT-857D & Ameritron ALS-500 and go for your General license so you can jabber-jaw all day from 10m-40m, and all night on 75m-80m. - But maybe that's for down the road, after you decide if you like SSB and the Gentlemen which hang out there.

I don't know whats wrong with me, but I cant stop thinking about radio's. I did it, I ordered a 2950 from DTB. What was I thinking?

Turp, is the echip installation included in the price listed on the website or is it extra. I'm thinking about getting one from this dude myself.

thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.