• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

In the market for new HF rig, but which one?

Yaesu ft-2000 $2,600 and spend some of the extra cash on a nice heil microphone and a berringer box or another audio setup of the sort then look at a decent antenna you will then have that sound your looking for and with a good antenna others will actually hear that good sounding station.

The Elecraft is also a nice radio with some cool options and that radio with the above extras will also do you justice do some shopping around and your best tool is the internet so RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEACH and read the reviews at Eham.com ETC before you purchase take your time and study up on the rigs you are after or have your eye on.

Remember your the one thats looking for a radio and your going to be running the rig so reading up lets you decide on the flavor that grabs your tastebuds or attention. Its all about what you want and what entrigues you the operator / purchaser.

More good suggestions

Looks like I have a lot more good suggestion but I could not help but laugh when someone mentioned AM! There can be a vast difference in audio on SSB as well. I agree and have preached for years that your radio is no better than your antenna. I just don't have room for an antenna farm. I have a 100 foot tower used for a 2 meter repeater along with a APRS antenna, scanner antenna, inverted Alpha Delta and a 2 meter 440 regular antenna. Because of the terrain here I get wind that regularly turns over my wooden picnic table. An umberella at the pool is out of the question. When I go to Lowe's now and walk in they just ask how many fence panals I need today. I would probably of had an HF beam before now if I thought I could keep it up. It is nice to be high in elevation but it does have its disadvantages. R&L is having a customer appreciation day next weekend and they are not very far from me. I think I may take the advice and go see what kind of radio I do like.
Kruser

R&L is having a customer appreciation day next weekend and they are not very far from me. I think I may take the advice and go see what kind of radio I do like.

Definitely do that but remember that they won't have any of the American made rigs like the Elecraft K3, Flex line or Ten Tecs. Those are all worth checking out, especially considering the money you're willing to spend. If you can get to a hamfest where those companies will be, it will be worth your while.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.