• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Insulator needed

brandon7861

Loose Wire
Nov 28, 2018
A few years back I made this mobile antenna for my truck. After cutting down the 102" whip a foot or so (so I was under the 15 foot you're gonna hit stuff altitude), I had to do an L match with a tapped coil to get to 50ohm. My friend, who also drives a taller truck, wants me to make him one the same way. Unfortunately, the store I found those parts in is now closed. What I need is a coil insulator similar to the one in the picture that can take the strain of a 102" (maybe less) whip without a spring at freeway speeds (hence the rope on mine, in case it breaks off). I expect I'll have to trim it down so he doesn't hit the CATV lines strung through town, so a similar insulator to mine is needed. Does anyone know where I can find something similar???
Thanks!

....I know, my blue tapping point wire is tiny and unprofessional, I run barefoot in that truck

Attachments

• IMG_20211230_123303642.jpg
    IMG_20211230_123303642.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: Eldorado828

At one time I used Bussman renewable fuses as a home brew coil form. They have screw on copper caps that you can drill and tap. Maybe something like that would suit your needs. They come in a various sizes.

Fuse photo.jpg Fuse size chart.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.