• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

insulators for mobile antenna

E

excavator701

looking for info or somebody that can point me in the right direction on finding insulators for a center load antenna weather it would be of delrin fiberglass or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!i am atempting to build my own mobile antenna

</p>

looking for info or somebody that can point me in the right direction on finding insulators for a center load antenna weather it would be of delrin fiberglass or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!i am atempting to build my own mobile antenna

</p>

There's a number of materials that would work...are you using wire or something bigger like aluminum or copper tubing? for regular wire, fiberglass would work fine.

</p>

There's a number of materials that would work...are you using wire or something bigger like aluminum or copper tubing? for regular wire, fiberglass would work fine.

</p>

"Delrin"

Teflon (r) just doesn't have the tensile strength. Delrin is nearly as good, dielectric absorption almost as low. Some plastics will absorb RF and melt, or catch fire.

Best test I know for this is to take a sample of your RF insulation and pop it into the microwave oven. Just keep an eye on it. If it doesn't get hot in the microwave, your 27 MHz RF won't cause it to fail, either.

nomadradio said:
"Delrin"

Best test I know for this is to take a sample of your RF insulation and pop it into the microwave oven. Just keep an eye on it. If it doesn't get hot in the microwave, your 27 MHz RF won't cause it to fail, either.

I've also found the more opaque the material, the better suited it was for RF... At least at the low-fer level. In High School I built a 1750 meter station and using PVC for the coil former at the feedpoint I found that different colors of PVC pipe would make the inductor have different values... Some absorbed RF more than others, as a microwave oven test verified.

Delrin is my choice for antennas. It will take a lot of power, and if it's thick enough, you have plenty of tensile strength.

--Toll_Free

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.