• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

interesting multiband antenna

B

BOOTY MONSTER

here's the link .....

A High Efficiency Extended Length Mobile Antenna

and a few pics ....

oldcoil.jpg

allcoils.jpg

new_ant_on_van.jpg

cheap option to a screwdriver ... ???

Good find Booty. Now there is a man who is not afraid to experiment with antennas.

I figure you and/or HomerBB will be building one within the week. :D

I am going to share your find with the boys on the other side of the pond.

Reactions: 1 person
im just a CB'er so i don't need the bandwidth . it seems to basically be like a 10k (or any other external coil antenna) but coil is slightly off-set from center and detachable . change coils to change the center frequency of use . i wouldn't drive with it . but it might make a good antenna for sitting on a hill or mountain top in a mobile or a base .

im just a CB'er so i don't need the bandwidth . it seems to basically be like a 10k (or any other external coil antenna) but coil is slightly off-set from center and detachable . change coils to change the center frequency of use . i wouldn't drive with it . but it might make a good antenna for sitting on a hill or mountain top in a mobile or a base .

That is why I shared it with the fellows on the other side of the pond. They take their DX'ing seriously and have some really cool looking set-ups for hilltop Dx'ing.

i was thinking she was a saint myself . (y)

i was thinking (oops) if the coil was a little larger , and the stand outs for connecting it were a little shorter the coil could be centered around the insulator/center of the upper and lower shafts . that would allow it to keep it's symmetry

on a base set up you could use a fiberglass shovel handle with a piece of tubing just big enough to go over it . cut it in half and use what ever number of smaller tubing sections to telescopic it up as you see fit . put the cut in half pieces on the shovel and slid the top/long one up and down for the different coil lengths . a hose-clamp and stand-out bracket to connect to the coil and clamp the tubing to the FG shovel handle to hold them in place . add hanging wire ground plane with PVC x standoff and ..... cheap home-brew multi-band antenna .

WTF!?>!>!?!? ['Scratching Head' smiley that doesn't yet exist on WWDX.com]

All he had to do was make one coil he could tap for whatever frequency he desired.
I built one of those from wire for a friend in an apt - he could only go 3' up and 5' to the left so we put a coil at the bottom and for 10m he shorted across the entire coil, for 15m he used 4t, 20m he used 7t, 40m 13t and 80m 24t. It was a simple 7" piece of 12ga speaker wire with an alligator clip on one end and the other end soldered to the top of the coil.
He also had run a wire down from the 3rd story balcony to ground, some 32ga he got from work, so he had plenty of counterpoise to the water pipe.

If that guy with the mobile antenna wanted to be real trick he could have a coil with enough turns for 80m (or whatever his lowest band of choice) and several different length wires with alligator clips on each end so each one was the perfect length for whatever band he was going to use, or even go with some sort of male/female connector soldered at the correct tuning locations on the coil so he could just plug the correct length wire into the correct connectors, bypassing just the right amount of coil per band.

Seems silly to have umpteen coils and all the wrench work to change them out. :unsure:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated