• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interesting News Event

paws264

Apr 6, 2005
I just watch the evening news and they reported that a Military Cargo plane (C-160) crashed into a High Rise apartment building and exploded. Hi-Rise Building Survives Plane Crash.

Here is where it gets interesting (to me at least) This building was certainly not built to the standards of the World Trade Center but, it is still standing after taking a direct hit from a huge, speeding airplane.

Either, we need to build our building more like the one that survived; something neither of the WTC towers could not do OR, maybe somebody might just wanna look and think a little deeper about the 9-11 incident.

Naw, it ain't gonna happen, there are too many people who wanna keep their heads buried in the sand "Chasing Usama Bin-Laden" and fighting the "War on Terriorism".

Please, somebody help me out with this, i'm just a poor kid from the ghetto with little understanding of all this political stuff; How do you fight a WAR against a WORD? How do you physically kill (like the 2000+ American soldiers who died) an intangible concept like "Terrorism"?

Yes, we can see the results of "Terrorism" but how do we defeat (kill it like the 2000+ American Soldiers who died) the idealogy that brought terrorism into our lives?

I await your edification.

The WTC survived the crash. It collapsed due to the fires in the towers that was hot enough to melt the types of trusses used and the trusses then collapsed on each floor due to overstressed mechanical limitations of the trusses as each floor caught the weight.

Paws, terrorism is more of a "technique" to get the world's attention, through fear. Small groups, or countries that dosen't have the manpower or resources to actually fight a "formal" war against a larger country such as us. For the most part, the middle east dosen't like our involvement/support of Israel. So the terrorist attention was turned towards us. As far as the events of 9/11, I believe there is alot more to it than what we have been led to believe.

I would think there is alot of difference in the construction of a 10 story building in comparison to one thats over 100 stories high and the plane did not bring the WTC's down the insuing fire did in which the metal skelaton was heated to such a high temperature the metal failed and then the domino effect determined the WTC'S fate.

FL Native said:
c-130 is no were near the size or wieght of a 747.

And, it was only a 10 story apartment building; the plane had full fuel tanks but there was no "controlled-implosion" looking falling of the building.

I am sorry (this is how my brain works), but from an engineering point of view, the only thing different was the scale of the building and the airplane; the results should have been the same, they were not.

What's wrong with Al-jazeera, all news is slanted, why not at least get the opposite slant so that maybe you can draw an informed conclusion.

Here is a man, engineer, conspiracy theorist that agrees with the "heat" factor.

I am a professor of Aerospace Engineering at Texas A&M University. http://aeromaster.tamu.edu/Faculty/boyd.html I did my Ph.D. work in structural analysis of high temperature materials, with a focus on materials for jet engines. I teach materials science and structural analysis. For the record, I believe that the OK City building was brought down by contact explosives within the building, and I believe that a missile destroyed TWA 800. However, today's tragedy is easily explained in terms of the heat weakening the steel structure. The mainstream interpretation is correct. I doubt that the fire would be hot enough to melt steel, but even at 1300F the strength of steel is seriously degraded. These structural steels used in civil engineering are not intended for high temperature. The fire weakened the steel, and the upper floors crashed into the lower floors and the structure pancaked. Jim Boyd

A firefighter-

I agree with your conclusion. As a former firefighter and fire investigator, I have seen what a "normal fire" will do to the structural steel in a building. Having the intense heat of hundreds of gallons of jet fuel burning in an enclosed space will generate a tremendous amount of heat in a short period of time. The structural members on the interior of the building were exposed to the highest temperatures. Once enough of the interior supporting members failed, the sudden weight of the floors above collapsing would pancake the building. No additional explosives would have been needed.

Other experts agreed that the extreme conditions caused by the fire, and not unusual vulnerabilities of the buildings, were the likely causes of the collapse.

"There isn't anything particularly vulnerable about it," said Aine Brazil of Thornton-Tomasetti Engineers in New York, a structural engineering firm that worked on the Petronas Towers, the world's largest buildings, in Malaysia.

Buildings are simply not designed to withstand "the extreme levels of heat that would be found in the situation with the amount of jet fuel and the explosion that occurred," Ms. Brazil said.

No engineer could have prepared for what happened yesterday, the experts said. "No structure could have sustained this kind of assault," said Richard M. Kielar, a spokesman for Tishman Realty and Construction Company, the construction manager for the original project.

The enormous heat from the jet fuel fire probably caused the steel trusses holding up concrete-slab floors and vertical steel columns to bend like soft plastic, said Jon Magnusson, chairman and chief executive of Skilling Ward Magnusson Barkshire in Seattle, a structural engineering firm that worked out the original design.

The skyscrapers had two means of defense against normal fire damage, Mr. Magnusson said. One, thick layers of insulation sprayed onto the steel beams, could have been breached by the initial crash, he said. Another, the building's sprinkler system, may have been disabled as well, or it may simply have been useless in the heat of the jet fuel fire.

Although they resisted collapse immediately after the planes' first impact, the hundreds of steel columns spaced around the outer facing of each tower eventually failed.

REVERSE POLARITY said:
I would think there is alot of difference in the construction of a 10 story building in comparison to one thats over 100 stories high and the plane did not bring the WTC's down the insuing fire did in which the metal skelaton was heated to such a high temperature the metal failed and then the domino effect determined the WTC'S fate.

Yeah, engineers have said the WTC collapses were due to extreme heat causing the steel trusses to fail and that was due to missing coatings of the trusses that would have prevnted a heat failure. Plus the steel was not I-beam type, but looked more lake tubular ham radio towers turned on the side. I don't remember if the missing coatings were knocked-off or just not there. As each floor collapsed, additional wieght was applied to the trusses that they were not designed to carry, thus. all of it failed from fire or from wieght.

NailBender said:
Fire has NEVER collapsed a steel framed building. I still don't think it has. Hydrocarbon fuels do not burn at high enough temperature to melt, or signifigantly weaken steel. Look at FEMA's explanation of the collapse of building 7. They have none. LOL

I've seen many bowed=in steel frames after heavy fire. It can fail from the heat of a fire. It may not melt, but it sure can get bent!

All I`ll say is talk to the military people over there,ask what they think. I have friends in the military over there,they me the news reports the bad and not the good going on there.

Steel I-Beams although very strong will enlongate as much as 2-3" at temps of 1000 degrees for a sustained amount of time, and will sag causing a building to collapes.

Many steel truss roofs have fallen in during a structure fire that produced less heat than thousands of gallons of jet fuel could produce.One warehouse I know of routinely handled three feet of wet heavy snow every winter yet when a fire broke out in the fall the roof caved in due to the extreme heat weakening the steel.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.