• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interesting!

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
I was playing "Where is this?", find a picture of an interesting place on one of the internet mapping sites (Google Maps, and EarthTools). Thought, "Hey, I know what my 'lat/long' is, lets see if it will work.". (Took the lat/long from the QRZ database.) Hmmm. Neither site put me within half mile of where I live. 'Google' put me over three miles away. This was using an eight digit coordinate system, ought to have been accurate to within what, couple of hundred yards? So, if you want to find out where you ~REALLY~ live, plug in your lat/long and find out!
- 'Doc

hey doc we are all messed up with the mapping too,
every map i can find including ordnance survey shows a new bypass motorway in the field behind our house but its a mile away in a different field,
there is an OS triangulation point just down the field from our house at 38meters asl so they should know exactly where we are and the asl but they still have it all wrong.
tomtom navigators go blank and think your in a field when you drive down the new bypass even with the latest maps,
the new roads are there but in the wrong place,
the google earth ground heights are all wrong too over here,
all that money time and effort to get it all wrong lmao :roll:.

The lat/long in the QRZ.com database is the approximate center of your zip code--the same with the maidenhead grid square listing. They do not calculate zip code by address.

To get the coordinates for an address, try:

http://world.maporama.com/idl/maporama/

It rounds to the nearest minute, but that is closer than QRZ.com.

Dave_W6DPS

Dave,
I tried it using my street address and it was almost correct (150 feet off). Still almost a mile off (800-900m) by using the lat/long, not 'QRZ's, but from a GPS. According to the site, I live in city hall. LOL
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.